Chapter 18

Mephiles was currently paging through a novice spell book to see what he could try. After a moment of deliberation, he decided to try out a simple levitation spell since he had never used any magic before.

Taking a deep breath to calm his excitement, Mephiles focused on a chair in the locked library before raising his hand. Honestly not knowing what to do, he just focused on the chair and concentrated.

His eyes widened with he saw the chair's own shadow turn an inky black before slowly snaking its way up the chair and eventually lifting it off the ground.

He gasped at the sight and his lack of concentration caused the shadows to dissappear and drop the chair.

Mephiles looked down at his hand--a purple glow fading from it-- in amazement. Did...did he do that?

The demon couldn't help but smirk. Oh, he was loving this already...

Deciding to try the glowing hand thing again, he deeply concentrated till the purple glow that indicated his own personal power appeared once more. And the more he let the power build, the brighter the glow would get.

Suddenly thrusting his hand out, his power blasted onto the floor where it instantaneously formed a crystallized explosion before the deadly crystal shards melted away until a puddle of placid black shadows remained, all done with just a mere thought on his part.

An almost sinister smirk forming, the Demon Lord decided to have some fun and see just what he could really do.

And so, over the next few hours, Mephiles tried a variety of spells-- his favourite being the one where he himself could become a shadow. He'd also figured out how to practically crest himself a complete suit of thin armor out of pure crystal. He tried so hard to break it, but to no avail. That would definitely come in handy someday.

And before he knew it, half the day had already gone by. It was true that time flies when you're having fun, he supposed.

He then decided to go meet up with his mate for dinner. His studies and practice sessions would remain a secret, so he traveled in the shadows, immensely enjoying the fact he could whizz by servants unnoticed.

***

He soon came upon his mate in their pup's nursery, Silver handing over their precious children to the trusted nannies on duty.

The young mother gave each pup a kiss before heading back to their chambers to change into a different set of attire for the evening, his gaze turning saddened and more lonely the further and further he walked alone...

Shortly thereafter, Silver was off to the dining hall, unawares of Mephiles curiously following him in the shadows.

Once there, the hanyou sat at the large table alone, where his late supper was soon served. He quietly glanced at the empty seat beside him where Mephiles would sit and then to the empty entranceway where his mate usually comes to have lunch with him.

Sighing, his ears just folded sadly as he lifted his chopsticks and began picking at his meal, not truly hungry anymore....

Mephiles eventually solidified outside the entrance and soon came in. He had watched Silver briefly, not understanding why the uke could feel so upset when everything he had was what he wanted.

Silver looked up from his barely touched meal and upon seeing Mephiles, he smiled-- a truly happy (and relieved) smile --as his mate entered the room.