Chapter 20

As the day dragged on and their tears had stopped and gone dry, Mephiles slowly moved himself away from Silver to look at him. Gently cupping his face, his mourning uke looked at him sadly when their eyes finally met. His love's amber eyes were red and puffy and he still looked so drained as well. Mephiles hadn't the chance to refresh his energy as they lay together because consoling him had taken up most of his time.

"Silver...would you be alright if I left to bring back some tea and a meal?" He asked, lovingly caressing his cheek. Mephiles wanted to get some fresh air, but he'd order the servants to being what he wanted and remain with his mate if he needed him otherwise.

".....Go ahead," the uke mumbled from where he lay facing the bedroom windows, his voice barely a whisper from crying.

And other than those two words, he hasn't said much else....

Mephiles sighed in understanding and kissed his love's lips before getting up to bring them something to eat and drink, though he left at a slow pace; he'd get to the kitchens eventually....

The demon suppressed all thoughts of his children, otherwise he wouldn't be able to get anything done. At a time such as this, he needed to be strong. So he thought about how Silver may now know that he was partially cherub now. He would know what kind of hanyou he now was, since Silver still followed demon customs instead of angelic. He would know now that he was a very powerful being himself and to also have winged cherub in his blood, his cherub parent must have been extremely powerful as well. Perhaps his parent even had wings....

Eventually the ebony male got to the kitchens. He ordered the servants to make a broth with noodles and shredded vegetables for Silver, something his love could eat with ease. After asking for bread as well to fill his stomach, his mate's favourite tea-- jasmine with peppermint and a touch of ginseng --and a pitcher of cold water to help refresh Silver as well, he ordered another servant to deliver a bowl of cool water and a towel to Silver's bedside but on strict orders not to say anything to his mate. The young lord then waited in the dining hall for the tray he would personally bring to his chambers. He didn't want his mate to be bothered by others more than was necessary.

But Mephiles jumped when he suddenly felt tugging on his robe. He looked down to see three pairs of eyes staring up at him. They looked worried and for good reason, they probably heard Silver's cries and screams that morning and he probably didn't look much better either. The young father then kneeled down to meet their eyes. "Yes?" He mumbled softly.

"Is Mommy okay?" Crystal was the first to ask, looking worried.

"He was crying again..." Rei mumbled.

"You look sad too," Jigoku pointed out.

"What's wrong?" The triplets asked simultaneously.

"We're fine, my little ones..." He murmured, gently petting Crystal's head. "You're new brothers and sisters, they.....they won't be staying with us. They've gone away," he explained the best way he could, as no parent wanted to explain the cold, harsh reality of death to their children. It would be too hard and upsetting to explain to their young minds.

"Will they be coming back?" Little Rei asked innocently.

Mephiles sadly shook his head, instantly seeing the disappointment on their little faces. He just couldn't take it, but a female servant bringing out the tray was a thankful distraction. And since he didn't want to leave his pups just yet, he invited them to see their mother whose presence alone may make then feel better, as long as they were quiet. He even took the servant's suggestion at allowing the pups to have a little snack along the way to bring a smile back onto their faces, which he appreciated.