Chapter 12

Mephiles rested well that morning, even going so far as to sleep in a bit. But he got up eventually, he went to quickly check on his children before going to eat.

As usual, he sipped on a relaxing herbal tea as he read once breakfast was over. He had a few documents and other pressing matters to attend to before he could go see Silver....

It all took nearly three hours total, his work relaxing him and keeping him busy.

And when it was time for lunch, he decided to have the noon meal with Silver and his pups. If the hanyou was well enough for company and a light lunch, that is...

He then ordered a bowl of noodles for himself and the uke, the noodles being made thin and short--so it wouldn't bother Silver to eat --and for the noodles to be in with a herbal broth to help his recovery. Someone then ordered to go milk the goat for the pups as well.

Once the menu was set, then did he decide to go and see the wounded uke in his care...

He saw that Silver was sleeping with a learning healer nearby, the young raccoon seemingly reviewing his herbs as he counted his fingers and grumbled the names of herbs and their remedies. Mephiles easily dismissed him and the startled healer hurried out.

Sitting on the bedside once more, he reached out and gently shook his shoulder to wake him.

Silver blinked his eyes awake, weakly lifting a shaky arm to block the sunlight. Mephiles noticed and got up to close the shutters a bit so it would make him more comfortable. Silver only then seemed to relax, staring at the demon.

"Hello," he greeted in a low, fatigued mumble.

"Hello," Mephiles said in return before sitting again on the bed. "I've ordered some lunch for us since you've slept through breakfast. It's just a simple noodle bowl--small noodles--that way, you won't have that much trouble eating them; you only need to swallow."

The silver furred male nodded before slowly glancing around the room, sighing heavily and stifling back a cough as he mumbled, "It seems like I won't be to get that day out in the city after all..."

"I really wanted to see it..." he muttered sadly as he tried to get comfortable, wincing loudly when he moved too fast, jarring his slowly healing, weak, and clawed-up body.

"I'll take you out when you are feeling better..." the demon then carefully and gently helped him in a better position to stop him from stressing himself out too much. "But until then you need to stop squirming..."

Sighing in gratitude for the help, Silver let his amber gaze fall on Mephiles' green.

"You'd really take me?" He asked quietly, "...you promise?"

"Of course...you have word as lord of these lands," he muttered, looking at the door as soon as the servants came in with their meals, followed by three designated nannies who brought in their children and the milk.

The hanyou's smile grew when he saw his pups--the babies all equally happy to see both their parents.

They were set on the bed beside Mephiles, and a table was placed beside him for the milk and noodles. Mephiles then took his youngest and started to feed him, gently holding the bottle at the right angle so that the pup had no difficulty suckling.

Silver silently watched, having never thought he'd see the day where Mephiles actually took the time to feed his own pups.

After feeding each infant, the young father placed each down on their back--after burping, of course--setting them all back down on the bed to rest. But he soon noticed that Silver hadn't touched his meal yet, asking, "Are you having trouble?"