Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Astrid's POV

"So you had a terrible day at school, and then you come home to find out that your parents are dead?" Lee asks sitting on the edge of the couch, like it's the most interesting thing he's ever heard. Before I can answer him Ashton shoots him a deadly glare. Lee sat back on the couch and folded his arms like a scolded child.

But I answered anyways. "Uhh, yeah." I whispered defeatedly. I looked up from my shoes when I felt a hand on my shoulder, my eyes met the beautiful shade of hazle, blue and green that I've become very fond of. Ashton. He gives me a sad smile, and slightly rubs my shoulder. He looks over to Lee. "Are we ready to go?" Lee nods in reply and gestures towards the door.

Ashton explained to me earlier that we would be going to Italy. And I couldn't be more happy. I've wanted to go traveling for a while but with applications for college conning up, and law school I didn't see that happening anytime soon. But now that I have no family to impress, or a home then I guess I can go where ever I want. That's the bright side to all of this. Even though my parents are dead, and I'm hundreds of miles away from the only place I've ever called home at least I get to travel. That's a pretty shitty bright side, but hey, I'll take what I can get.

We exit through the back door by the kitchen, and there is a pretty nice black car waiting for us. It belongs to Lee, I assume by the way he slides a crossed the hood like some secret agent. He plops down in the drivers seat, Ashton next to him, and I in the back. I take the seatbelt and stretch it a crossed my torso, and click it into the other side. Though safety isn't really a big deal to me anymore.

I lean my head against the cool glass and watch yet another place pass by as we move along to another.

But it's the last time.

I think to myself, an attempt to brighten my mood.

A failed attempt, might I add.

The feeling I have now reminds me of when I was younger. When I was a kid my dad was never home. I mean he was a very busy lawyer in the prime of his career. I understood, but that didn't mean I didn't have a right to feelings.

Every morning mom would come wake me up. She would come into my room, quietly, then she would start tickling my feet. At first I would just mumble a pitiful "Stop it, mom I'm trying to sleep.", but it didn't take me long to realize that that approach wasn't working. So I'd reluctantly sit up at get ready for the day. By the time I showed up to the table dad would be collecting his things and on his way out the door. I tried for a while to get up a little earlier but he was rather busy or leaving early. No matter how hard I tried he always left. I know it's silly to be upset about something like this but I barley got to see my father back then.

And that feeling is similar now, because no matter how many times we run they always seem to catch up. I'm hoping to prove that theory wrong this time.

The thought of my father makes my eyes misty, and before I can stop it a few silent tears make their way down my cheeks. Ashton's eyes flicker to me in the rear view mirror. I quickly wipe the tears away at my chin. His eyes soften a bit, and he looks away and begins fiddling with his seat belt. After he unbuckled himself he turned around to climb between the two front seats. "What the hell are you doing Ash?" Lee inquired, the annoyance clear in his tone. Ashton thwacked the back of his head. "Shut the fuck up, and keep your eyes on the road." He said and took a seat next to me, quite close I might add, and buckled the seat belt again.

I looked out the window again, but not for long. My gaze returns to him. Without saying a word he grabs my hand and intertwines our fingers. I squeezed his hand and rested my head on his shoulder. "This is the part where I say something witty to make you feel better, but I've got nothin' sweetheart." He say in the softest voice, so only I could hear him. I move my eyes up to meet his, and suddenly I have the urge to burst out in tears. Because now I'm certain of something.

I'm in love with him.

I don't have to question about it anymore because now I'm sure. And for some reason that scares me. Maybe because I've been sheltered all my life and he looks like he eats danger for breakfast. Maybe I'm afraid of being hurt. Or maybe I'm afraid that he doesn't feel the same way.

God damn it. Why is love so complicated?

Authors note:

Sorry again for the short chapter & the long wait but I've been very busy.

GIVE ME FEEDBACK PEOPLE!

What do you guys think is gonna happen next? Does he love her?

And Ashton's past still remains a secret.

VOTE&COMMENT! :D

I love you all. <3