Chapter 9

Chapter 9

**Ashton's POV**

As I stood there waiting for the grumpy old man to return with the room key for our hotel room, I couldn't help but think about how beautiful Astrid is. The thought struck me back at the truck, just before I left to come get the room key. She has the most gorgeous eyes, that's why I love to look at her. You can tell so much about a person by looking into their eyes. When I look into hers I see that she is genuine. A free spirit that is concealed by her fear of being hurt. Untarnished by the world, she is like the first winter snow that sparkles with out being decorated by the feet of eager children. But her life is quickly turning into the kind of snow that has been walked on and deprived of its beauty. Her parents are dead, and everything she has ever known has changed now. That's a lot for anyone to go through, but she's strong.

I feel bad for having so many secrets hidden from her. Every time she looks at me i fear that she can see every dark secret that I have buried within me, every person I've killed. Which I am not proud of.

Back at the lake when her face was mere centimeters away from mine, I was so compelled to just pull her closer and kiss her. She just so se-

"Here." The man sneered pulling me from my thoughts. I took in his appearance as I grabbed the key. He was in his mid forties, with a messy five'o clock shadow growing on his scarred face. Greg, it said on the name tag, displayed aggressively poor posture. His clothes were well worn and stained. I just shook my head and walked out the way I came. I kicked rocks on the way to the truck and opened the passenger door to let Astrid out. "I've got the ke-" I stopped in the middle of my sentence, she was laying there sleeping. Her breaths were evenly lifting her chest up and down. I lifted my hand and brushed a strand of her long brown hair from her face. The dried trail of tears on her face confirmed that she had been crying. I felt a pang of guilt, maybe I shouldn't have left her alone. I pushed the though away and put one arm on her back, and one under her knees. I held her close to my chest on the way to the room, the warmth radiating off of her made me feel oddly calm. Her soft, warm breaths fan my neck, and cause goose bumps to raise on my skin. I balanced her weight with my knee while I unlocked the room. Quickly, but carefully I walked in and kicked the door closed behind me. After I had lied her down she began to stir and I hoped that she wouldn't wake up, she needs the rest. As I pulled the comforter up over her I noticed that she has a small birthmark on her neck, just under her jaw line. I had the strangest urge to kiss her at that moment. I converted the lustful thought into a comforting one, I placed a small tender kiss on her forehead. Just before I walked away I whispered "You drive me crazy, Princess."

I went to the bathroom for a much needed shower after stealing some clothes from the storage closet down the hall.

I stand in front of the mirror looking at my worn reflection. I sigh and shift my gaze to the mass amount of scars. A large gruesome scar that stretches from my collar bone to my ribs, was from a knife fight to defend my sister. I let out another sigh and step into the steady stream of hot water. When I returned Astrid had gotten comfortable. She was spread out on the middle of the bed, sleeping so soundly that she slightly resembled a corpse.

I prepared to make a place for myself to sleep when the door was kicked in and knocked off of its hinges. A man that towered over me in height started shouting, and pointed his gun in my face.

Oh shit.

Instinct kicked in and I lunged at him, and grabbed his arm and breaking it, successfully disarming him. He cried out in pain, but used his free arm to land a solid punch to my chest. I stumbled to the ground as my lungs searched for the air that was just knocked out of them. He turned to look at Astrid who was now wide awake, with an expression that contorted pure fear. He began to walk towards her and that's when I lunged at him again, giving him a good blow to the head. He stammered back a few steps but he quickly regained his balance he glared at me but he must have known that she was my main priority because he dent go for me, he went for her. Before I could hit him again he grabbed her, and pulled another gun from his waistband and placed it to her head. I froze, and put my hands up defensively. "What do you want?" I asked in a calm and collected tone. He eyed me suspiciously. "I think you know what I want Rizuco." He said confidently. My breath hitched in my throat. I couldn't breath for a moment, but Astrid's whimpers brought me back to reality. "That's not my name, asshole. Now let her go." I said, my voice as cold as ice. He trailed the gun down her jaw bone, and her neck. He looked her body up and down with lustful eyes. My blood was boiling. "Listen Rizuco. This is how it's going to go. This girl.." He paused and slammed the butt of the gun into her stomach."..is a target, you are going to come with me to take her to your f-" I lunged forward before he could utter another syllable. I grabbed the gun and shot him in the head without a moments hesitation. What he was about to say could have ruined everything.

I rushed to Astrid's aid. She was doubled over on the cream colored carpet, holding her hand to her stomach. I put my hand on her shoulder, and she looked up at me through loose strands of her hair.

I just hope she didn't understand what the man just said.

"Are you alright?" I asked helping her up off of the floor. She nodded and sat on the edge of the bed.

"What just happened?" She asked clutching her stomach, her voice breaks a little at the end.

"One of Damien's guys. We've gotta go." I say in a soft voice, hoping to soothe her. She sighs, and looks down at the floor. I can tell she just wants all of this to end. She exhausted, and it hurts me to see we like this.

"Listen, I know this is hard. But if you want live then we need to go. I'll protect you with my life." I whisper, and move a piece of hair from her face.

I mean every word that I'm saying. Sure I may have my secrets but I come to terms with my feelings. I care about her. If she were to get hurt I would never forgive myself.

She looks up at me with sorrow and disparity clear in her eyes. I can see the tears that are threatening to spill. "That's the thing Ashton, I don't think I even want to live anymore." She leans into my chest and starts to sob softly.

Her words just broke my heart.

Authors Note: First of all, sorry for the long wait. I have had a pretty busy week.

And Woah, a lot of drama, huh? Tell me what you guys think.

Does anybody have an idea of what secrets Ashton might be hiding?

PLEASE, comment and vote.

I love you all. <3