Murder ,Accusations and Text Messages

How does one actually start a life of crime? Is it by chance, or is someone destined to be a criminal? Are you attracted by the thrill, or were you introduced? Is it the money, the power, the fame?

                For Mr. X, a life of crime really begins with one mistake, then jumping into a whirlpool of faults that drag you down into a black hole of crime. By then, there is no more way out.

                If his mother was alive she would be devastated. How could I raise my son to do such terrible deeds?  She would cry and weep. Mr. X would simply look at her with sad eyes.

                I’m doing this for you, mother.

                He was a hard working man initially. He was just a lowly accountant in a big business firm. He wanted to earn as much money as he could to support his ailing mother. He worked long hours, threw himself into his work by doing almost anything and everything, hoping his boss would see just how dedicated he was and was able to give him a raise.

                His hard work paid off. He rose to the top slowly, and soon became head accountant. For a while, it seemed like life was working out well for him. His mother’s conditions were stable, and he had a gorgeous model girlfriend named Dara. They were set to marry in a couple of months and he was jubilant. He was in love and had a nice cushy job.

                Until one day everything fell apart. His mother passed away, and his fiancé dumped him. She left him a snide note, packed her expensive things and flew away to Paris, with the engagement ring on the table. I have gone to live the life I have always wanted.

                Was she insinuating that he couldn’t possibly provide for her? No matter how much he tried, he could never please her?

                Mr. X found himself in deep debt. His mother’s funeral, credit card bills and mountains of unpaid loans filled the table. Wedding preparations left hanging, a broken picture frame and small wisps of her perfume lingered around his room. His world was slowly and surely falling apart.

                One night, as Mr. X made his usual rounds around the office and checked the accounts, he found 20 bucks lying on one of his employees table. The money was staring at him, shining under the light of a single fluorescent lamp. His head ached and his heartbeat went wild. He saw the money and suddenly, images of his unpaid debts flooded his head. He saw his recent life flash before his eyes, his mother, Dara…

                He grabbed the dollar note in between his hands and the images went away. The money sparkled even more in his hand. Suddenly, his heartbeat became peaceful and his headache went away. He took out the wallet and stuffed the note in. He suddenly felt an increase in wealth and it was as if his problems went away for a while.

                The power of money and how good it feels to actually have them.

                Mr. X started stealing. It was small steals at first. 10 bucks, 20 bucks…some coins from the machine and such. His headache went away every time he held money in his hands. Then, he saw the numbers piled up. Every dollar he added could help him clear his debts. The feeling of being on your way to freedom was so exhilarating. But it was also addictive. Money was a drug, and Mr. X is very much addicted.

                Then, he became a little bit more daring. He started embezzling. The company had a rule, if less than 100 was missing from every monthly account, it would be written off as drawdown and it would not have much effect on the company’s overall account since it was worth billions in overall. So he just made ‘casual withdrawals’ every month.