FIFTY SEVEN

Dolores was untangling me when we heard footsteps approaching. We stopped and locked gazes in an instant, wondering and worried why they were back all off a sudden. I mean with so little time, I don't think escaping is possible.

"Are they back already?"

I asked, my voice almost cracking. This can't be; I need to leave this place.  Dolores just looked at me with her worry filled eyes. Then she stood up and before she turned to leave, she spoke.

"I will leave the ropes loose but I can't take you out right now. I won't risk it. Just be ready"

I nodded as I watch Dolores went back to her chair; clutching on that tiny glint of hope. She settled on her spot and waited and I think that's what I need to do too, wait. I bowed my head down and pretended to be sleeping. I just can't handle any more emotional torture, not in this state. The footsteps were drawing near when I heard someone calling my name, humming a strange melody. I listened closely as the voice was closing in and I almost leaped in my seat at the mention of her name.

"Gabby's here to see you.. Oh Lexiii"

I was frozen. I swallowed the ball of air that instantly formed in my throat. Is Gab here? Did they got hold of her too? Is she okay? What have they done with her? And the series of questions bound to drive me insane was coming to me all at once. I tried not to get too carried away with my emotions, hoping that I was just dreaming. But the singing never ceased as it grew louder and clearer and it only meant one thing, they've got hold of Gab too.

"No, it can't be. Gab wouldn't let that"

I argued with myself, denying the fact when it's already screaming in my face. But I also knew that Gab would do anything, even if it's rash and stupid, just for me; and right now, I know she chose to be both. I closed my eyes silently praying for help but a loud thud hit thighs and when I opened my eyes, a wounded Gab was peering above me.

"Lexi"

Gab spoke weakly and my eyes widened in shock looking at her, soaking in blood.

"Gab!"

I cried in terror as I felt my bile rise up. All the things I was dreading is happening in my face.

"Gabby!"

I called her name again as her head lifelessly fell on my lap. She seemed to be saying something but I can hardly hear her. Then she went silent and still that it made my pulse race. My heartbeat is ringing in my ears as my fear worsened. I don't know what to do and I am completely terrified seeing Gab like this. I fought the urge to untangle my hands to move so that I can help her up but I quickly remembered Dolores. If I try and make small movements, they'd notice how loose these ropes are. One way or another, they'll figure out that I was trying to escape or someone is helping me. I can't put Dolores' life in danger, or ours for that matter.  I just need to be ready when opportunity strikes. I could easily rip these off, but as of now, as much I hate to admit it, I couldn't help Gab. I can't risk that hope knowing that it would be to our advantage later.

"Gab, look at me. Look at me please"

I pleaded again, crying my heart out but still, there was no sign from her. Then the dreaded thought seeped through my mind unwelcome but I was quick to dismiss it. NO. I refuse to accept. I tried to clear my head from negativities but my heart sank in my stomach and my terror worsened when I saw Mr. Ervy down on the floor; in his knees begging for his life or for Gab's.

"N-o"

I shook my head as I shatter in endless sobs. When will this stop? I am crying at the realization that they're here because of me. I put them in this situation and I can't help but feel horrible. I looked up and saw William. He was looking down on Mr. Ervy, too amused at the sight.