FOUR

Dad walked me to my car with his arms resting on my shoulder. I told him I'm good and that he can go back to his room to rest, but he insisted to walk me out. You see, my old man is stubborn just like me. No wonder I'm his child. I've come to terms with that fact few years ago. The whole process took a lot of effort, rationalizing, denial, understanding and well.. along with few bottles of beer. I shook my head as I recalled the memories. Stay back.

Dad's health has not been better over the years. There were days when I would call him and Jenkins would tell me that he was sick. Of course I'd get worried, but Jenkins would assure me that it was nothing serious. Dad tried to keep it from me so as not to worry me. But one day when we were in Boston attending a business convention, he fell on the floor and went unconscious. That's the time when I learned about his deteriorating health. He wasn't diagnosed with any specific or serious ailment, thank goodness, but he's old and he's way far from healthy. He's overly stressed and fatigued with his demanding job and maybe that's the exact reason why he wanted me to take over with the business as soon as possible.

I've thought about it a hundred billion times and quite frankly I had no interest in running such an Empire. Just thinking about the pressure, the expectations, not to mention working with.. well, her, but then if taking over meant that Dad could rest and maybe start getting healthy, then there's nothing more to think about. I'd do anything for him in a heartbeat. I love my father and I regretted every moment I turned him down before. He may have poor choices before but he's still my father and there's nothing I want more than to keep him healthy and live longer.

We rounded the corner and his jaw dropped when he caught sight of my car.

"Woah, 2016 Lamborghini Aventador. Nice"

"Nice?"

I reperated after him and gave him a sarcastic look.

"I meant beautiful. She's beautiful Gabby"

I simply nodded and walked towards the driver's seat.

"Wanna go for a ride then?"

"Me?"

Dad's eyes widened a fraction. His face was a paint of bewilderment, but I was serious.

"Yes you!"

I could tell that he was hesitant and obviously surprised with my reckless invitation. Dad's old and he has some heart problems, so yeah maybe that got him thinking.

"Uhm"

I moved towards him and rested my hands on his shoulders.

"Dad, I promise you won't have a heart attack"

He let out a sigh and I don't know if he felt relieved or distressed. I gave him a wolfish grin as I held out my hand. A smile crossed his face and he took my hand. I walked him over to the passenger seat and helped him climb into the car. Dad told me earlier that he wanted to spend time with me, and driving him in my Lamborghini is a good start.

"Buckle up!"

"Gabrielle!!!"

+++++

We spent the entire hour strolling around the streets of Chicago. We reached an eerily quiet street along Gold Coast district and I stepped on the gas and  sped off, getting faster and faster by the minute. I felt the adrenaline rush through my body and it feels so damn good. I continued driving faster ignoring the speed limit. I'd deal with that later. Then I remembered Dad, I almost hit the breaks at the thought of him. I gave him a quick glance and to my surprise, he was having the best ride of his life.