Chapter 2

• Dedicated to Julia Coloso

Chapter 2: My Apartment

~Song The Show by Lenka~

I finally got to my apartment. Even though school was only 10 minutes away that car ride seemed like two hours. I have a feeling this day would be agony. I didn't like long flights and the flight from California straight to England is about 8 hours with no stops in-between.

I lived alone. Well, accept for 25 other apartments in my complex. I left my dad when I was 16. My mum didn't have a home in California anyway since she traveled back and forth from England to LA so much. To be honest, I can't tell you where she is as of now. I lost touch with my parents years ago. I remember leaving so well. The look on my dad’s face. I couldn't stop thinking about the look my mother would have had when he told her.

"Sylvie, please. You don't have to leave. You're making a big deal out of nothing. Your mother and I will work it out. Please just calm down and don't resort to drastic measures."

"I'm not listening to your bullshit anymore. I'm not resorting to drastic measures. You pushed me to where I am right now. You've never cared what I want and you never will. I can take care of myself. I've done it for the 4 years now that I have been living with you."

And I through my house keys at him and left. I'm surprised he never got people and cops to come and look for me. Have search parties or something. Maybe he finally realized that all I wanted was to be left alone and I just could't deal with my parents anymore.

I got to my apartment door. Apartment 309. I don't know why, I always liked saying "I live in apartment 309!" whenever I had guests coming over. Which was rare. Mostly Julia just slept over when she was having bad nights at home.

My neighbor across the way had just stepped out to walk his dog. He was really cute. And he was young! He was an actor who waited tables for extra cash. I guess he had today off.

"Hey Sylvie! How you doing?"

"I'm great Mike how are you?!"

"I'm just fine. You ready for that trip tonight?" He said with a smile.

"You have no idea. I've been ready for the past 3 years."

"Haha, I can only imagine…Hey, tell me the next time you're going! Maybe I can come with you?" He said with a wink.

I went a little uneasy..he had never flirted with me before. I stumbled just a bit and said a little uneasily,

"Erm,..are you flirting with me haha?"

I always said the most awkward things when I was nervous around guys. He smiled and laughed then turned to walk his dog. Some people would say creepy but in an odd way I thought it was cute. And hey, he is cute.

I stepped inside my apartment grabbed some Special K chips and went to change. I always needed to be comfy on planes, so I decided to wear sweat pants, a cardigan, and my fave green Converse shoes. I put on a little deodorant thinking no one wants to smell my BO and sprayed a little of my favourite perfume on. I double checked my bag making sure I had everything. I went over the list out loud to myself.

"Cute clothes, jackets, toothbrush, hair iron, curling iron, books, perfume, makeup, computer, computer charger, Iphone charger, purse, tickets, passports, shoes."

Okay good to go. I always double check everything. I'm one of those people who would forget her head if it wasn't screwed on right. I laughed to myself in a reminder of how my mum would always say that. I got out my phone and texted Julia.

"Be there in fifteen! Be ready. #I'mSuperPumped ~Sylvie x"

Yes, we still do hashtags because we're cool.