Chapter 1

• Dedicated to Julia Coloso

Chapter 1: And Here We Are 

~Song Pumped Up Kicks by Foster The People

I'm finally done. I'm finally out of here. I'm finally getting on a plane with my best friend and leaving. I thought to myself as I was clearing out my locker. Senior year was over. I was 18. It was all over. And I can definitely say high school has been the ride of my life. Three years ago my best friend and I had planned on going on trip to Europe when we were older. Well, to us "Europe" meant England and maybe France.

The only reason this was special for me was because I hadn't been to England in over 4 years. England was definitely my home. I was half English and I had family over there. I grew up and was raised in California by my dad though. I had divorced parents. They never agreed on anything. I was supposed to travel to England when I was 14 but it never happened because of their disagreements. So I told my best friend Julia to start saving up because when her and me are older we're going to Europe just the two of us. It was going to be amazing. And here it is. The day I'm finally leaving. Wow those 3 years couldn't have gone by any slower.

I started to walk when I heard "You Need Me Man, I Don't Need You"-my favourite song by Ed Sheeran-play and my serious thoughts were interrupted. My ringtone. I struggled with my books while trying to get my phone. I saw it was from Julia and an instant smile lit up my face.

"Hey!" I answered.

"Hi! Where are you?" She replied.

"Just finishing up at school. Walking to my car! Why what's going on?"

"Oh nothing. I'm just sitting here freaking out because we're getting on a plane in, oh I don't know, 3 hours and flying our asses to England!"

I laughed. "Hahaha, I love you. And yes I know I'm so excited!! I was just thinking that this day couldn't have come any slower!!"

"Oh my God! I know right?!"

We're from California. I know. We sound like valley girls. But it's honestly the way we talk! I continued,

"Haha yeah. Well I better go. Getting into the car and you know how bad my hand-eye coordination is. I can't talk and drive."

"Hahahaha…yes I know that. Better than I would like to admit. Alright well hurry and come pick me up soon! I don't want to be late!"

"Calm yourself. I will be there soon! I wouldn't dream of being late!"

And I hung up before she could say anything else. I was anxious to get on the road.