Daddy's Little Girl...14

Chapter 14-Face the music and dance

Robyn's POV

I woke up and it took me a minute to work out where I was, then the pain in my cheek flared up again and it all came back. Slowly, I sat up and there. Gazing worriedly at me, was Myles.

At first, he made me jump and I screamed, the sudden movement making my stiff-from-sleep body ache, which made me cry out in pain. His eyes widened in alarm,

"Are you okay? What happened to you?" Oh great, now he'd seen my bruised check, I needed an explanation, but I couldn't think of anything so I just looked at the floor and fiddled with the tassels on the cushion.

"Robyn, who did this to you?" he asked, there was actually a small hint of anger in his soft, friendly tone. What could I say? My dad thought I was good to use as a punching bag and oh, I make a great whore in his opinion, lots of money, ya know...nah.

"I don't want to talk about it, I eventually said, not looking up. I heard him sigh, then a rustle of plastic packaging alerted my attention, so I looked up, to see him opening a packet of Hobnobs. That was when I realised just how hungry I was. He took one out of the packet and offered me one which I gladly took and couldn't eat quick enough, chewing ravishingly. Myles looked at me, frowning and silently offered me another which I accepted before I had even thought about it.

"Errrrrm, have you eaten anything today?" He asked

"Well, I had an apple and 2 mars bars around lunch time, but there wasn't much left in my..." woops! Nearly tripped up! "...in my cupboard" I quickly added, "at home"

I finished. He frowned again,

"So did your parents let you have the day off?" he asked, taking another biscuit and passing the packet across the floor in my direction. I took another one before answering.

"My dad doesn't know or care, my mum...would probably be pretty mad, but she..." I had to take a deep breath before I said this out loud for the first time, "she died when I was 7, from cancer" I said, getting quieter towards the end. There was a silence, apart from my subdued munching, as that sunk into the atmosphere and I found myself thinking about mum again. I had thought about her more today than I had ever before and right now, I thought about the day she died, I had been there.

"I'm sorry, Robyn" Myles' voice was soft, caring and I could hear the sympathy in his voice, sympathy I had never had before and suddenly, I felt the need to tell someone, after all these years about my mum's death. I could feel the tears welling in my eyes as I looked up at Myles,

"I was there" I whispered, Myles looked up at me then, a weird expression on his face, almost as if he was choking on my pain as much as I was, "she died right in front of me" my voice went croaky and rose a few octaves as a few tears spilled over, " and I thought she was asleep. I was convinced that she would wake up and I wouldn't leave her bedside, I kept telling her to wake up and I layed on the bed next to her, waiting for her to hug me back. I wanted so desperately for her to hug me back, I was practically screaming her to wake up, to hug me in a way only a mother could...only MY mother could. But she never did." I was now sniffling and had tears pouring down my face. I took a few seconds to calm myself down again before carrying on.

"My dad came in with one of the doctors and tried to get me off, to take me home, but I was screaming. I didn't want to believe that she'd really gone, even though I could hear the single, long beep on the heart-rate monitor, even though she was freezing cold already"

And then I was overcome by the emotions of reliving that moment, of not thinking about it for 10 years, for bottling all those emotions up and dealing with a an abusive father.

"I really miss her" I croaked shakily, holding back the sobs for as long as I could before completely breaking down. I closed my eyes, trying to block out the pain and was barely aware of Myles moving next to me until he cautiously wrapped his arms around me, like yesterday. But instead of freaking out, I turned into his chest and clung to him tightly. All I wanted was a hug from my mother and for everything to be okay...

But it never could be...