Daddy's Little Girl...9

Chapter 9-A life of secrets

Myles didn't say anything, just held me tighter as I bawled my eyes out. I slowly calmed down and wiped my eyes, glancing around the tiny room. My gaze settled on the small clock on the shelf. 6 o'clock.

"Oh my God!" I gasped, my dad was going to kill me.

"I have to go" I said quickly, but I couldn't make myself move. I felt so comfy, so calm, so safe...'So s-a-f-e.' I thought slowly, exaggerating the word 'safe'. When had I last felt safe?

"You don't seem to be too worried about going" he chuckled, pulling away and sitting back a little to free me. It was suddenly cold and I shivered slightly, crossing my arms across my chest as I stood up slowly because my legs were stiff.

"Are you cold?" he asked, standing up as I stretched out my legs a little.

"A bit, but I'll be okay" I said confidently, walking towards the door, judging that my best bet was to run all the way home and hope dad had fallen asleep so that he won't notice me. As I stepped through the doorway, the cool evening air engulfed me, making my teeth chatter.

"Wait, you're cold, I'll drive you home" he said, walking over to me, grabbing my hand and walking on again, "Come on, I won't take no for an answer" he joked.

"You drive? How old are you?" I asked, walking faster until I was beside him.

"18, I passed my driving test 2 months ago" he proudly announced.

"Oh, well good for you" was my response.

"Where are we actually going, where's your house?" I asked as we turned left out of the house onto the main path, back the way I had come.

"Just up here, about 7 houses away from where we just were" he replied, smiling. I only realised he was still holding my hand when he let go, put his arm round me and pulled me closer to him. I looked down at my hand for a minute, then up at his gorgeous face, now almost shining in the sunlight. He looked down at me and registered my confused expression,

"You were cold" he explained, smiling and then looking forward again. We walked in silence and I leaned into him, his warmth, until he stopped outside a fairly big house with bay front windows and a large oak front door.

"Here we are, I'll just go and get my keys, wait here" he said, then jogged off down the front drive and through the front door. I sat down on the garden wall whilst I waited for him to come out, looking at this lovely house where, no doubt, there lived a happy family who got along, with a mum and dad who loved each other and their children. I was honestly jealous of him, although I'd never admit it out loud.

A large bang pulled my away from my inner-rambling and I turned around to see the large, white garage door opening. Out of the garage drove a read peagout 204 with a proud-looking Myles at the wheel. He stopped the car at the end of the drive by the wall I was sitting on and I stood up, opened the door and climbed into the passenger seat, breathing in deeply as I pulled the door closed. I love the smell of new cars.

"Nice car" I said, even though I didn't know anything about cars, I liked it though, it was shiny.

"Well, thanks" he said, pulling out of the drive.

"Where do you live?" Oh great. Now what had I got myself into? No one knew where I lived, not even Liam and Jaycee. Dad would kill me if any one of my friends came knocking, and I didn't want them to know about my problems at home, that would give dad another reason to beat me. Anyway, I didn't like people to make a fuss over me, it's my problem, I can deal with it. Myles must've noticed the pause.

"Robyn?" he prompted. I had no choice, he'd know if I lied, he'd probably want to see that I got inside before he left.

"Number 23, Willow Tree Avenue" I answered on a sigh. Tonight was going to be really bad, I could tell by the adrenaline already pumping through my body. The type of adrenaline you get when you're scared, or don't know what's going to happen next, but you know it's going to be bad.

"What's the matter? Is there something I need to know?" he asked. 'Plenty' I thought, 'I just can't tell you'. I sighed again, I was sighing a lot that day. I wanted to protect him and everyone else. I had no choice in my actions. I turned to face him and put on my serious face,

"You must promise to never come back to my house unless I've asked you to, not ever. No matter what you may hear or see or anything, okay? You have to promise me that" He pulled up next to my house, cut off the engine and turned to face me, a weird expression on his face, maybe even a little hurt?

"Why?" he asked, frowning

"I can't tell you, just trust me" he looked like he was about to say something, but I didn't want to hear it.

"Please Myles" I pleaded before opening the door to get out. He was just staring straight out the wind screen.

"Thanks for the lift, just don't tell anyone"

"Sure thing" he said distractedly, without looking at me. I closed the door, took a deep breath and walked up the drive, waved to Myles, then stepped through the door...

*************

I watched her go up the drive. I knew she was hiding something, I could see it in her eyes, I was going to find out what was ruining her life, what made her swear me to secrecy over where she lives and not even say why, but most of all, what had brought on that round of crushing emotions when I hugged her back, what had scared her enough to make that horrible expression of fear cross her face when she saw the time, I would find out, I would help her, whatever it took...