Chapter 20 | Scrap

Even though I was eager, almost excited, to get this challenge underway, Talos seemed unnerved. "What's up?" I asked him as Levon went over to a small group of males. 

"Nothing. Just, be careful. Okay?" Worry was evident in his tone and his gaze. It was touching, but I didn't need it. 

"I'll be okay. I've been beaten up more times than you'd think." However that didn't seem to make Talos feel any better. If anything he looked even sterner. 

"Delilah!" Levon beckoned me over to the circle in the middle of the clearing. With him was a guy who seemed a bit older than me. He wasn't crazy buff, but he was still bigger than me by a fair margin. Maybe. We'll have to fight smart. Onyx remarked as she sized up our opponent. "This is Hamish. He's not the best in the class, but he's not the worst either. So if you can defeat him, you'll have earn't your place in our group fair and square." Hamish dipped his head in acknowledgement, but did nothing more. "If not, I'm afraid you'll have to try your luck with another class." So far everything Beta Levon was saying seemed legit. 

"I'm ready when you are." I stated boldly to Levon, and he raised an eyebrow.

"Then lets get started."

  « ☽ 🌕 ☾ » 

A small crowd started to gather around the fighting circle as I started to strip down to my gym shorts and sports bra I had worn underneath my clothes. Levon stood on a stump and Talos stood beside him. His green eyes watching every movement from me and the crowd. "The rules are simple," the Beta announced in a loud voice. "This is a best of three. If you step out of the ring, or are thrown, pinned or pushed out, you lose that round. If you yield, you lose that round. If you are knocked unconscious, you lose the whole fight. Understood?"

"Understood." I replied. Hamish just nodded. 

"The first round is human form only. In the second round, you may shift after my signal. In the final round you may take whatever form you please." The crowd let out a few jovial shouts, some for Hamish, some for the 'new girl'. Lets have some fun. Onyx growled from within as I dropped into an attack stance. 

"You may now start!"

  « ☽ 🌕 ☾ » 

Hamish and I began to circle one another, keeping our gazes locked on our movements. Finally, he made a move. Hamish lunged at me, swinging with his right fist. I managed to lean back and narrowly avoid it, side step around him and jam my elbow into his spine. My opponent let out a shout of pain and swung his arm around, smashing into my side and knocking me to the ground. I had to quickly roll out of the way to avoid him stomp kicking me in the belly. He's faster than we thought. Onyx grumbled as I scrambled to my feet. We resumed circling again before I quickly lunged and tackled him at the knees, taking him by surprise and knocking him down. My first punch landed squarely on his jaw, illicting a few shouts from the crowd. However he grabbed my second punch, brought his leg up and kicked me square in the chest. Sending me flying back off him, and dangerously close to the edge of the ring. I raced up as fast as I could, and rushed Hamish, who was only just getting to his own feet. But he quickly spun out of the way and kicked me as I moved past him, sending me hurling out of the circle. "Round one goes to Hamish!" Levon announced and the crowd let out a few hoots and claps. I sucked in my breath through my teeth. I was already getting a bit banged up, and this was only the first round. I have to be more careful or I wasn't going to last the trail. So I picked my self up and walked back into the ring, and steeled myself for the next round.