Chapter 10 | Bread

It wasn't to hard to find the dinning room, as all I had to do was follow the groups of people and the scent of delicious food. My stomach growled lightly and I placed a hand on my belly to still it. Every now and then I got a strange look from a pack member, curious as to who I was, and what I was doing here. Truth be told, I didn't blame them. My jaw almost hit the floor when I entered the dinning room. There were three large banquet tables running parallel to each other and one smaller banquet table at the head of the room, where Alpha Stone was sitting with a woman who must be his mate. I walked up to them, ignoring the odd started and whispers. When I reached them I dipped my head respectfully. "Delilah, I'm glad you could join us." Emory said with a warm smile. "This is my mate, Luna Olivia. I don't believe you've meet." He introduced. The Luna looked to be about the same age as her husband and had black hair that had a slightly silver sheen to it.
"It's nice to meet you, Delilah." Olivia said with a kind smile.
"And you as well, Luna." I said with a polite smile. Emory seemed thrilled with the exchange and suddenly looked around the room. His smile turning into a scowl.
"Were are the boys? I told them not to be late." He grumbled.
"They had patrol today, remember? They won't be back till dinner." Olivia said and placed a hand on her husband's as he let out a quiet growl. "Their patrol duties come before their lunch duties." The Luna explained. The Alpha huffed in his frustration and took a sip from his wine glass before returning his attention to me.
"Well, I'm glad you could make it, Delilah. Feel free to take a seat and enjoy the meal." He said with a friendly smile.
"Thank you, Alpha. And I'm sure I will." I said politely before excusing myself and walking over to one of the long tables adorned with food.

  « ☽ 🌕 ☾ »   

It wasn't long before I  found an empty seat and settled into it. It was so strange being the new member of the pack. It was unsettling in a way I hadn't experienced before. Sure, I had visited other packs with my parents before, but it wasn't the same as this. I was so used to living in the same pack my whole life, that this all felt new to me. I never had to worry about making friends, as we'd all grown up together. My heart panged at all the fond memories. I could almost see them sitting across the table from me. Flo making shapes in her mashed potato with the gravy. Vivian and Ethan bickering about the quickest way to kill a deer, and constantly asking for Florence and I's input on the matter to try and prove their points. How we'd laugh. My mood suddenly became somber as a I waited for Emory and Olivia to grant us the order to eat. Onyx whined softly, she missed our old friends too. 

  « ☽ 🌕 ☾ »   

A girl with chocolate hair sat in the seat across the table from me, fidgeting in her seat. I glanced up at her before returning my gaze to the feast in the middle of the table. She couldn't have been older than me and had soft looking skin of spanish olive. She looked across at me and flashed me a polite but kind of awkward smile, clearly eager to eat. As was I. Alpha Emory rose to his feet, and the soft chatter chatter of the hall quickly faded to silence. Even from where I was seated, I could feel the effect this man had. Even I felt the need to bow my head. "Greetings everybody." He said with a soft boom to his voice. "We have a guest among us, her name is Delilah, and I want you all to make her feel welcome." Emory gave a brief glance over in at me before addressing the whole room once more. "Preparations for Lucida Sidera will start in the coming days for the festival in three weeks. Please enjoy your meal."  Everybody was still until Emory had lowered himself back into his chair, then they suddenly started to grab food from the platters in the middle of the table and pile food onto their own plates. I managed to snag a steak, some boiled potatoes, and a scoopful of roast veggies. It all smelt so amazing that I just couldn't wait. I hungrily tore into my steak with my knife and fork, chomping down on it. The dark girl across the table on from me stiffed a chuckle, before resuming her own meal. Her eyes flicking from their dark green to a pale brown, and then back again. 

  « ☽ 🌕 ☾ »   

I ate my meal in silence. Being mindful to slow my eating speed. Which was gradually getting easier the more food I ate. I was getting a few polite smiles from around the table, but nobody had really introduced themselves to me yet. My vision glanced up to the table at the head of the room. Emory and Olivia were eating and chatting among themselves. The seat the the left of Emory was empty, and so were the two seats to the right of Olivia. But there was somebody at the table who caught my eye. After the two empty seats, a thin willowy looking girl with a short pale blonde pixie cut sat with her empty plate looking around the room. Everything was fine until her gaze landed on me, and her face broke into a wide grin. 

It's been a crazy kind of morning for Delilah, huh? Who are these girls? And what do they have in store for our dear heroine? 

  « ☽ 🌕 ☾ »