Chapter 14 | Strife

All three of us were frozen in a triad of shock. My mind was reeling uncontrollably, thoughts and feelings turning over at a thousand miles an hour. I felt like my heart was going to explode, it was beating so hard. What are you waiting for? It's him! Onyx howled from inside of me. My gaze slowly began to drop towards the floor. I can't. The smell of smoke was starting to slowly creep into my nose. And I could hear the crackling of fire out in the hallway. "Listen, I can tell your shocked, but just take it easy." Talos' deep voice said, trying to soothe me. And it worked for a moment, until I heard a vicious scream erupt inside my head. HELP US! I bolted around Talos and shoved through Jericho, rushing out the door of the laundry room as fast as I could. My feet almost flew as I ascended up the stairs. The scent of burning grew stronger as I got closer to my room, as did the the sound of fire roaring. It seemed like an age before I got to my room when I knew it was only seconds. I threw open the door and slammed it behind me. All at once it faded away. The room was fine. Nothing was burnt. No one was screaming. I took a shaky breath before my chin started to quiver, and I slid down the door and slumped to the floor. Curled up like a baby with my face buried in my hands, and tears streaming down my cheeks. I couldn't do this. All my life I wanted to find my mate, have them be beautiful and kind. And now that I've finally found him, I can't have him. Because I can't have him burn along with everything else I've ever cherished. 

  « ☽ 🌕 ☾ »  

A short while passed, and I was still tucked up on the floor trying to get myself together. Soon I heard heavy footsteps make their way up the hallway and stop in front of my door. I could smell him from behind it, my heart ached. He knocked gently on the door. "Hello?" His voice was soft and rolling like the sound of a distant summer storm. When I didn't reply, I heard him sigh through the door, and the sound of his body as he slid down it and sat on the floor. "I'm sorry if I scared you." He paused for a moment. "My name is Talos." We were both silent for a while. I wanted to open the door, but I just pulled my arms tighter to my chest. 

"I know." My voice was barely more than a whisper. But wolves have better hearing than most. I could almost hear him smile through the door. 

"Is it alright if I come in?" The hope in his voice was honey sweet. 

"I can't. I'm sorry. I can't have a-"

"Please." He interrupted me. "Please don't reject me. I promise we... we can take it slow! I've been told your here for at least a month, that's plenty of time to get to know one another. We can keep it quiet if you want. Anything. Whatever you want." Talos almost seemed panicked, and truth be told, I was touched. He was already trying to understand me and help me feel safer.

Delilah, he makes a good offer. And if we keep it on the down low, even if Hallow find us here, they won't know he's your mate. They can't hurt what they don't know exists. Onyx voiced what I was just starting to think. She made a good point. And if we do accept the bond after the month, this is a very powerful pack. One that Talos will be the Alpha of, and you, the Luna. We will be safe here. My wolf was making very valid points left right and center. Sometimes you would think that she's the rational human and I the wild wolf. This might be the beginning of the end. The end of being haunted. I took a deep breath.

  « ☽ 🌕 ☾ »  

"Okay." I slowly pulled my body up off the floor. "That's fair." I wiped the tear tracks from my face. "Okay." I said again, trying to reassure myself. "One month. That sounds good to me." I even managed a little smile. I heard him let go of a breath he was holding. 

"Thank you. Do you mind if I come in?" He asked again. "I... I can feel you aching." I reached up to the door handle and slowly cracked open the door, and poked my hand through.

"Sorry, I'm kind of a mess right now." I said with a chuckle and a sniff. Talos let out a chuckle as well.

"That's okay." He said and carefully took my hand in his. His golden skin was warm, and sparks ran up my arm when we made contact. He gave me a little squeeze and I returned it fondly. We stayed like that for a moment, before Talos spoke up. "Alright. Well, I've got to get going now. But I'll see you later, okay?"

"Yeah. Thank you." Was my mumbled response. We gave each other one last little squeeze before we let go and softly shut the door. I felt him get up from the floor and make it a few steps down the hall before I heard a familiar voice.

"Hey, how's Delilah?" Sybil said, worry evident in her tone.

"She seem like she's okay now. It doesn't hurt in my chest anymore. It kind of feels like its warm now." 

"That's good," I could smell her cigarette smoke wafting in from under the door. "Tread softly with her, young Stone. We come from the same ashes. And burns take time to heal." 

"Thank you, Sybil. As always, your advice is as helpful as it is cryptic." Their footsteps faded as they walked further down the hallway. 

What a crazy experience

What a crazy experience. And its only getting more and more strange. 

Remember to leave your thoughts in the comments!

  « ☽ 🌕 ☾ »