Chapter 5 | Rustled

I ran for a while, enjoying the feeling of moving again. But soon Onyx's body grew tired, and I was too. So we came to a stop once we reached the edge of the lake. It was ink black in the dark of night, yet it still shone. Thanks to the waning moon rising high in the sky, and the hundreds of thousands of glittering stars. Tonight I was thankful. That I was safe, at least for now, for finally having the earth beneath my paws again, and for the coming summer and the bounty it would hopefully bring. It was a comforting feeling. One that I was going to revel in for the time being. I drank from some of the water before making my way to a oak tree not far from the shore. It had fallen over and lent against another tree, making a fair sized covered area. I spent a little while clearing out some of the branches, but soon I was cozied up next to my duffel bag. I spared another look at the sky before resting my head on my paws. Good night, Delilah. Onyx said before falling quiet.
Night, Onyx. I replied before closing my eyes and letting the blanket of sleep wash over me.  

  « ☽ 🌕 ☾ »   

 I woke in the early hours of the morning to the sound of a branch snapping. Adrenaline started to seep into my veins. Unsure of the source of the sound, I sniffed the air from my shelter. My tail flicked in annoyance as I recognized the scent. I don't think we're alone. Onyx growled from inside me. I didn't doubt her. I slowly stood up and poked my head outside of my cover. I couldn't see them, but there was plenty of cover for them to hide in. Whoever they were, I prayed they weren't a band of rogues or else they would ship me off to the Hallow Pack with a red bow around my neck. The price for me was pretty high if I remembered correctly. I slowly stepped out of the lean to and made my way around the back, my hackles raised and fur bristling. Ready for a fight if that's what it came to. Holding my head high. As soon as I held my ground, six wolves appeared from the forest surrounding me. They weren't some ramshackle bunch of rogues. They were to well feed, and looked like they had a plan. You've got some nerve holding your head that high, rogue. A light grey he-wolf said. He was obviously the leader of this party. A low growl rumbled from deep within my chest and I snapped my jaws at him. Truth be told, I had been in worse odds. All though they had the home field advantage, and I had the lake to my back, so I'd have to power through them to flee. If it turned into a fight, it was going to get messy for both sides.

I am not some lowly rogue, and it would do you well to not forget it. I spat at him. The grey he-wolf snarled, glaring at me for my words.
I should challenge you right this second. Rip your worthless pelt off. But, I have orders. He growled lowly. These are Stone Pack lands, he said proudly. You don't fit the description of any current rogues, so you will come with me  to have your fate judged by my Alpha. He said angrily and the other wolves began to close in. Taking slow cautious steps towards me.
And what if I don't want to see your Alpha? I retorted. The grey he-wolf chuckled lowly.
Oh sweetheart, I would love it if you tried. He said menacingly. I shot him a glare, but kept to myself.
I don't think I'll give you the satisfaction. I said darkly and held myself a little taller. The grey he-wolf chuckled again and the other five wolves moved to form a group around me.
What a pity. He chuckled dryly before moving to the front of the group. I was doing everything in my power not to rip his stumpy grey tail off. I could feel myself almost shaking in rage. This jackass had the nerve to insult me? A part of me knew that one way or another I was going to make him pay. At least carry a lady's bags, will you? I said almost sickeningly sweetly. Tilting my head towards my lean to. One of the other wolves, a small russet she-wolf wandered over and pulled out my bag. 

Bring it with us. Lets go. The lead he-wolf barked. 

  « ☽ 🌕 ☾ »   

I couldn't help but let out a low disdainful grumble as our little convoy moved along at a steady trot through the forest. Is it worth making a break for it? I asked Onyx. I was unsure as to if this Stone Pack would be so welcoming to strangers. 

Not to answer a question with a question, but why does the name sound so familiar? She replied. Onyx was right. The Stone pack did sound awfully familiar. I thought back to the days when my father used to go over the different packs with me and their territories. He'd unroll a great big map of the North American continent and list them all off. Starting from the top of the map, to the bottom. Then it hit me. Stone Pack. One of the five great packs that were the pillars on which all werewolf kind stood. One of the biggest, strongest, respected packs in the world; and I had just stumbled into their land like a lost puppy. Goddess help us.

Oh dear, poor Delilah

Oh dear, poor Delilah. What fate will await her at Stone Pack? What will their Alpha do? Comment your thoughts bellow! :)

  « ☽ 🌕 ☾ »