Chapter 18 | Muse

I had a strange dream on my first night under Stone Pack's roof, one that left me with more questions than answers. Both Onyx and I were present in the dream-scape. It's strange seeing you like this. She said as she looked at me from her own four paws. It's as if our souls finally have their own bodies instead of having to share. I agreed with her. It was a strange sensation. An empty one, like there was something missing. I felt very human in that moment. Vulnerable. My eyes scanned the place surrounding us. We were in a lush forest, thick with trees and shrubbery. Come, lets explore. Onyx beckoned and trotted into the trees. I followed close behind her, keeping up as best as I could on my own two clumsy feet. We slowed to a stop when Onyx wanted to drink from a stream that crossed our path. When I looked down into the bubbling water as is flowed over the stones, I could have sworn I saw the grinning face of Sybil for only a ripple before she faded away. Confused and curious, I dipped my hand into the stream. It was cool and refreshing, normal water by all accounts. Strange. 

  « ☽ 🌕 ☾ »  

The pair of us kept moving until the forest abruptly stopped. We had arrived in an ashen clearing with a large, black, burnt out house in the center. My home. Our mood was immediately sombered. Onyx even let out a gentle whimper. I rested a hand in her ruff and we both walked together towards the charred remains of everything we'd ever known. The porch steps groaned as we walked up them, I was worried they would give way, but they held us up. All the rooms were empty. Burned and black, a few shards of glass helplessly clinging to the window frame, but that was all. "Come on, On. Let's go." Were the only muttered words I could bring myself to say, as I roughly wiped away a tear on my cheek with the back of my hand. Then I noticed something from the corner of my eye as we passed the living room and we came to a halt. I couldn't quite make it out at first, but as we entered the room and sat down in front of it; it was a a set of finely crafted toys. To one side, there were two wolves. One made of light grey stone, and one made of shiny black stone. On the other side there was a tall house, and in the top window stood a man carved from a dark red stone that shimmered in the light. I tried to reach out and pick him up through the window, but when my fingers got near, they were scorched with a burning heat. My breath was sucked through my teeth in pain, as I quickly drew back and held my finger close to my chest. After a few moments the pain had disappeared. When I picked up the black wolf, it felt familiar and kind. A small smile crept onto my face, and I cast a glance at Onyx. It looks like me. She mused and bumped it with her nose. I put it down and picked up the grey wolf. It was warm and seemed to pulse, like it had a soft heart beat. I raised it to my cheek so I could feel it better, listening intently. "Do you hear that, Onyx?" She placed her great head next to mine so that she could hear it better. "It's like it's beating just for us." The she-wolf let out a soft happy huff.

It is. 

  « ☽ 🌕 ☾ »  

Most of my morning was wasted by taking a ridiculously long shower to mull over my dream and all its bizarreness. However when I finally came out, there was a tray of breakfast that Aubury had left for me. One that I gratefully accepted. Once I was half way through my fruit salad, I noticed a slip of folded paper on my tray. I carefully opened it and it read, 'I'll be by to show you around a little more at 10:30. Make sure to wear something you don't mind roughing up. Talos.' The contents of the note puzzled me a little bit. What did he mean by roughing up? I guess I'd find out. Either way, I had 20 minutes to get ready. After ripping my brush through my thick hair and putting on a pair of raggedy jeans and a really over sized heavy metal shirt, I heard a curt knock on my door. The clock read 10:30 exactly. "Come in." I called as I tucked the bottom of my shirt into my pants. Talos was dressed casually in a pair of well loved jeans and a clean flannel shirt. If it wasn't for the natural dominance radiating off him and the frustratingly good looks, he could almost pass for a normal guy. Onyx squirmed in my chest at the sight of him, it was almost shameful how eager she was. And while I was excited too, I was trying my best to keep it under wraps. When he saw how I was dressed he let out a deep soft laugh. "What are you wearing?"

"You said to wear clothes you don't mind roughing up. So I am." Was my curt reply. 

"That shirt is at least four sizes to big for you."

"When you're more or less homeless, you can't be picky. At least the jeans fit." 

"Fair point." Was all Talos had to say to that. "Let's get going, shall we?"

Hope you're all enjoying the story so far! Lots of fun stuff is going to be happening soon, so make sure to add this to your reading list for updates on new chapters! :D

  « ☽ 🌕 ☾ »