Chapter 8 | Safety

Alpha Emory nodded slowly and stood up from his chair. "Well, Delilah... is it?" He asked and I nodded before he continued. "You may stay here for a month. See if you like it here in Stone Pack. And at the end of the month, I will formally offer you a place in the pack. If you take it, you will be one of us and we will protect you from the Hallow Pack. If you decline it, I can only offer you safe passage through our lands." He stated running his fingers through his mid length beard. A feeling of cool relief washed through me, we'd be safe. If only for a month, we'd finally be safe. No more watching the news for sudden wolf sightings, no more fending off people in the street trying to mug me, no more going cold and hungry.  "Offering Ashara and Roland's daughter a place to stay in her time of need, is the least I could do." He said and I let a small smile creep onto my lips.
"Thank you very much, Alpha Stone. I appreciate this more than you know." I said and a smile began to etch into his stern features as well. 

  « ☽ 🌕 ☾ »   

"Jericho!" Emory called in a booming voice and Jericho all but burst into the room. "Take our guest, Delilah, to the West Wing and find her a nice room there. She will be staying with us until the end of the month. Make her feel welcome." He explained and placed his hands behind his back. "Is that understood?"
"Yes, Alpha." Jericho said and opened the door for me. "This way." He said. I could tell he was using all his self control not to lunge at me and rip the smug look of my face. When the door shut behind me, I could almost see the steam coming out of Jericho's ears.  

"What's wrong? You seem a little tense." I asked and tilted my head, pretending to be oblivious to why he was so pissed. 

"Nothing. Follow me." He grumbled and took off at a fast walk. I nearly had to jog to keep up, but god it was worth it just to see him this fuming. We stayed on the third floor which I found a little strange. When we were coming up, the second floor was the floor with all the apartments. "Alpha Stone must really like you for some unknown reason. The West Wing is for high ranks only." Jericho said bitterly. I was a little surprised, but thankful to Emory for setting me up some place nice. Honestly, I was just happy to have a bed. And Onyx was thrilled to finally be around others of our own kind. Even if some of them were less than friendly. We stopped in front of a big door made of dark stained pine. "Here's your room. Call if you need anything." Jericho said gruffly before walking off.
How rude. Onyx jested, smirking.
Tell me about it. I replied before swinging open the door.  

  « ☽ 🌕 ☾ »   

It was truly more than I could have ever hoped for. The floor was swaved in dark carpet and the walls were made up of various shades of cobble stone. There was a large stone hearth at the left end of the room. There was also a tall four poster bed, draped in rich purple sheets. At the other end on the room was a large writing desk with a computer, matched up nicely with a brown leather office chair. It all seemed so luxurious, and after living on the streets and in the forest for  months. It almost seemed like to much. I slowly walked up to the fireplace and sat down in front of it. I ran my hands over the cow skin lay out on the floor. I twisted the crank on the side on the hearth to get the gas going before picking up a match book and striking it. Throwing it into the fire which went up in a rush of heat and flames, smiling softly to myself, before placing a few logs from a basket onto the fire and leaving it to burn. I stood up from in front of the hearth and walked over to the bed, running my hands over the smooth purple silk sheets before collapsing on the bed in a fit of giggles. Digging my hands into the soft faux fur throw and the plush feather down duvet. Oh, what a wonderful feeling. 

  « ☽ 🌕 ☾ »   

I wriggled under the covers and looked up at the ceiling, letting out a happy sigh as I rested my head on the achingly cloud-like pillows. I lay like that for a moment. My luck had finally changed for the better. I had found a pack that would take me in. And I didn't have to accept the offer either and I would still be okay. I propped myself up and looked out the window. It was just like the window in the Alpha's office. The whole wall was a window. I imagine it would be a pain in the ass to clean, but the view was amazing. The forest stretched out below before giving way to the lake which gleamed like a mirror in the mid morning sun. Further on from the lake there was only more lush forest. Who knew how far it went. A few moments later I heard a faint knock on the door. "Come in?" I said, unsure about whether I should actually be letting people into my room. It was an older woman. She had a kind soft look about her with short light grey hair and soft brown eyes. "Hello dear. I'm Omega Aubury. Alpha Stone said that if you ever need anything such as you sheets changed or room cleaned, that you're to give me a call." She said, her slightly wrinkled face showing a beaming smile.  

A happy turn of events for young Delilah

A happy turn of events for young Delilah. :) Your impressions of Alpha Emory? 

Leave them in the comments. ;) 

  « ☽ 🌕 ☾ »