Chapter 17: Going Under

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for all who voted and commented! I seriously love you all! I hope more people decide to vote and message; it means the world to me!!

It had been three days since Matt’s absurd drunken night. And I ended up forgiving him last night. I had ignored all his calls, texts, and even when he visited me at work I went to the backroom to avoid him. I finally decided that he had enough and let him apologize for a few hours before I let him take me out to a late movie. As always he was great and affectionate to make up for what he did, but this time around I wasn’t buying it. To be honest it was as if I had accepted him because that’s just what was expected. I guess maybe Matt was just a habit at this point. He was routine and I didn’t know how to… be without him. Whatever it was, nobody was happy about it. Hell I wasn’t even happy about it. But particularly Zayn and Harry were fuming. Harry and I actually ended up in a fight just before Matt took me to the movies and hadn’t made up until I got back home. He had waited up for me and we talked it through. He was still disappointed, but the decision was ultimately mine. Zayn however hadn’t said anything at all. It was just the way he looked at me when he found out and the way he left the room when Harry and I were arguing. He didn’t want to get involved and I guess I should appreciate that. So why did it annoy me that he wasn’t yelling at me over it?

 Right now I was seated in Connor’s medical room waiting for my appointment to start. This morning I had gone for a dreadful MRI and let’s just say it went awful. I hated being in that tight space and enarly had a fit after not being in one for so long. I used to get used to it but now that I only had to take them once a month, I knew every time was going to be a struggle. Now it was time for the physical therapy appointment to decide what to make of the new MRI results.

“Hello again!” Connor greeted us when we came through the door. “So I got the MRIs. Take a seat” he motioned to the long massage table and Harry and I both sat. Now that Harry was home for a bit I was happy that he wanted to come with me to these appointments because I was sure as hell not going to take Matt.

“By the way, Harry, Adam forgot to ask for your autograph for his sister and her birthday is soon so remind me to get that.”

I rolled my eyes with a giggle as Harry winked. “Got it”

“Anyway, so remember how at the very beginning when we were getting you to walk we constantly had you practice? “

I nodded remembering the awful hours I spent in here getting forced to painfully walk in between two supporting columns.

“Well Adam and I decided that it’s time to take the next step. So after I realign you a little, you Charlotte Styles are going on the treadmill. We’re going to do some running.” He pointed his pen at me with a happy smile.

I gaped. I could barely walk a long distance without wanting to collapse. Now he wanted me to run?

“How? Isn’t that going to mess up the alignment again?”

He nodded, “A bit, but we have to get those dancer muscles back, eh? You’ll be dancing in no time.” He winked and I felt my heart flutter at his words. Me? Dance again? But then I shut the feeling down, not wanting to get my hopes up. That was the worst.

“Really?” Harry asked, his voice high in enthusiasm, his arm going around me.

Connor smiled with a nod, “This little one always beats the odds. She was still supposed to be in that wheelchair right now.”

I smiled at the thought, maybe it can happen after all?

“I’m not going to lie though, some days you’re going to be miserable. You’re going to be putting a lot of stress on your spine but this is a huge step, Charlotte. One we never planned on you taking. Are you in?”