Chapter 5: Love and Marriage, Go Together Like a Horse and Carriage

A few days later Ella and Mark were doing better after I mangled just a tad. Okay. A Lot. But after a long talk at Starbucks they managed to work everything out. Besides, I was the best friend. If I didn’t mangle, who would? And as for Matt, well ever since that day he was all distant I hadn’t really seen him. We texted though and talked on the phone most days so I think everything was fine in that department. I just don’t think I’ll be taking him to the next appointment which was in a couple days.

“Oy, maid of honor. Would you like to maybe come and help me with this table, or are you gonna milk this injury today?” Ella called pulling me away from the flower arrangements I was absent mindedly fixing.

I mock glared at her and walked over to the long white table where the bridal party and bride would be seated. Today was my mum’s surprise bridal shower. The wedding wasn’t for another month, but we all knew that if we’d waited any longer she would expect it. That, and she had a business trip tomorrow that would last a week so this would be the best send off. It was now just me, Ella, and the rest of the bridesmaids in the small ballroom I had booked for the occasion. We were just in our sweats decorating and waiting for the food to come so we can set it up before we would get into out proper dresses. I admit I had gone full out on this, but she really did deserve this. I had bought her a small tiara and a white glittery sash that said “Future Mrs. Twist” and black sashes for the bridesmaids that said “Team Bride”. I had even researched with Ella all the games we could play- granted some were definitely games I would not imagine ever playing with my mum (I’m sure you can imagine), but what the hell.

“Charlotte darling, the food’s here. Is this the table where it shall go?” Millie, my mum’s best friend and matron of honor walked in followed by group of people all holding a few trays.

I nodded and rushed over, “Yeah, right here is great. Daisy, you can help set it up, yeah?” I called over another one of the bridesmaids. In total we were six. Me, Ella, Millie, Daisy (mum’s coworker), Auntie Madeline, and Jenny (Robin’s sister).

“Sure, hun, we have about” she looked at her watch, “an hour before the guests arrive. You go on up with Ella and get ready. You’ve been running around since the morning.”

I nodded, “Okay, if anything happens just tell me” I warned, grabbing Ella’s hand and walking out of the room.

Luckily, the room came with a side suite where we could get ready so all our dresses and makeup were there waiting for us. The plan was that mum thinks I’d be gone for the weekend with Ella to her parents’ lake house up north. I needed the weekend to make everything perfect and it would have been hard with her anywhere around. So  Madeline, her sister, offered her a girls’ day out so she would be picking her up and bringing her here. I chose this place because there was also a restaurant attached so she wouldn’t suspect a thing.

“I still don’t know. Help meee” She whined, holding up two dresses as soon as we got into the suite.

I sighed because I had already told her which one I preferred. “The red one, Ells. I told you.”

She pouted and held it out further, looking from one to the other. I rolled my eyes and turned back to the mirror where I was putting on my foundation. “Fine, wear the other one you clearly like it more.”

“I’ll just try both on and send a picture to Mark.”

“Then do that, you nutter.” I playfully threw a powder brush that she skillfully dodged.

I was just finishing up my eyeliner when Ella came out in a short pleated one shoulder cocktail dress holding out her phone to me. “Don’t include my face, I look like death.” She posed for the pic before running back and changing into the other one. I shook my head and stepped away from the mirror, checking to see if my eyeliner was even.  Perfect. I stepped closer again to apply the blusher before she came back and I snapped another photo. I was finally done with my makeup a few minutes later and was quite pleased with the outcome. My dress was a dark beige with black lace overlap so I decided on a bronze smokey eye and it came out better than I thought. While she waited for Mark’s reply I started doing Ella’s makeup, deciding for a plain black smokey eye since it would match both dresses. As I finished her eyeshadow her phone buzzed and she quickly opened it.