Chapter 12: You don't know how lucky you are hanging with that girl on your arm

Soon a few of the adults started leaving seeing at it was already eleven o’clock. I couldn’t believe how fast the day went but it definitely turned out much better that I thought it would. Now it was just us, Maddie, who was sleeping over, a few others, and Millie and her family. The girls still weren’t tired and seemed to be even more hyped on sugar. Clearly enough dessert for them.

Matt had gotten up a while ago to get dessert after being quiet while we all chatted so I decided to go find him.

“Can you get me an almond roll?” Harry grabbed me before I passed.

I rolled my eyes and nodded, “anything else, lazy?”

“Yeah, a fruit tart, please?” Zayn smiled at me purposely showing me all his teeth and I couldn’t help but laugh.

“My pleasure.. you fools”  

It didn’t take long to find Matt since he was in the first place I checked- the dining room. His back was to me seeing as he was sat at the mini bar in the corner so I crept up behind him.

“Hey you” I wrapped my arm around his waist and rested my head on his shoulder.

He turned and smiled, cake all over his lips. I laughed and grabbed a cloth napkin from the table behind  me and wiped it for him.

“Just realize I was gone, yeah?” He asked, taking a strawberry from his plate and holding it to his mouth.

I gave him a look, nabbing the strawberry and eating it instead, “No, I just didn’t expect you to take so long. Why don’t you bring your food out there?”

He shrugged, “It’s awkward as arse.”

I sighed and took a seat in the stool beside him. “No it’s not. Harry’s actually giving you a chance.” I rubbed his knee. “Isn’t that what you wanted.”

He quirked an eyebrow. “Don’t make it seem like I want his approval. I could care less.”

I scowled at his harsh words, knowing he didn’t mean it the way it sounded. Harry had been pretty awful to him in the past, but it didn’t mean he didn’t deserve it.

“Let’s not talk about this.” I replied, taking another berry from him. “We’re probably all going to go out for the day tomorrow. You want to come?”

He shrugged, “Depends, just let me know the details and I’ll tell you.”

“What? Because that would make a difference?” I laughed softly, shaking my head at him.

He nodded, “Yeah, and Mark has to come. I can’t deal with those direction blokes all around me.”

I sighed, “They’re my brother and close friends, Matt. Just make an effort.”

He dropped my hand that he was holding, an angry expression on his face. “I AM. God, Charlotte. You saw me say hi to that weird looking one with the big hair. He didn’t even say a word.”

I rolled my eyes, “that was hardly an actual hello, Matt. You were challenging him just because you saw him waving at me.”

“I’m always wrong aren’t I?” He asked, throwing his napkin down onto his plate and standing off his stool. “You’re not even making an effort at actually including me!”

I sighed heavily and turned so I was sitting sideways to look straight at him. “Honestly—“

“Charlie!” Lucy’s loud screech interrupted me and I looked over to find the little girl running with full force at us, her sister hot at her tail.