Right Hand Girl

The next few days Rhett was in and out of the house. Between work and checking up on me, he was busy.

He texted me all day though, asking how I was and if I had eaten. He wanted me to tell him what all I had ate at the end of the day. I hadn't made much change, but I was trying and he could see that.

I've also managed to keep the matches out of mind for the most part. I had thoughts and urges but didn't act on them.

I had even started to watch the show again.

I cried the first episode I watched. I missed it so much.

Rhett looked so happy doing what he was doing. I knew deep down he was struggling, but he definitely overcome this better than I did.

I missed the studio, I missed how creative I could get. I missed eating nasty things with Rhett. I missed the crew. I missed every part of that place and there was no denying it.

Rhett asked me again about coming back but I said no. I couldn't. 

Could I?

I was afraid of the people. I was afraid of their judgment but I knew that there were always going to be people who hated me and people who used me as a crutch.

In all the years I was on the internet, not one day would go by without me reading a comment about me saving someone's life. 

I never knew how it could be true until now.

Maybe those people burned themselves like I did and Good Mythical Morning was their escape.

That got me thinking.

--

Today I had to go back to work. I didn't want to, in any sense, but I needed money.

When I walked in the door, I was overcome with dread.

And then I saw Devin and it grew worse.

He was ringing up customers left and right. A line carried to the back of the store and Devin was the only one here.

Everyone's eyes landed on me.

I quickly clocked in, counted up my register, and then moved my sign, "I'll get you over here."

Half the life shifted to my register and in ten minutes or so, the store was empty all for except me and Devin.

He turned to me then, "Thank god you showed up. They were getting relentless."

I shrugged, "If they would've gotten too relentless, I would've asked them to leave."

Devin smiled at me. He looked so nice when he wasn't drunk. He didn't seem like the kind of person to touch you when you most certainly did not want to be touched.

He noticed how eerie I was of him and sighed, "Look Link, I know I fucked up okay. I'm sorry. I was drunk and it just came over me. I just hate that things are like this now. I really wish you would come around to forgiving me."

My back was facing him so he couldn't see my expression. I was not amused.

"I'm glad this is my fault," I said finally. "I'm glad you think I'm the one who needs to "come around." But maybe you should understand that we just aren't made to be the best of friends. You and I don't work like that, okay? And I'll forgive you, but only because I know it's the right thing to do and right now, in my life, I'm doing better than I've been doing for a couple months. So there is me coming around for you Devin and telling you just how it is."

He looked shocked. I had never said so many words to him. I was never as confident as I was in that moment and he finally could see.

"That guy must be really special," he responded. I cocked a brow, "What?"

"That man who threatened to cut my balls off. He must be something else to get you to be as confident as you are. You're a firecracker, baby. Don't lose that okay? It looks good on you."

With that, Devin began to count down his drawer and in no time he was gone.

I can't say it was how I imagined today going, but Devin wasn't really all that bad of a guy. 

Maybe I was wrong. He was drunk. He didn't do it with a clear mind, but he made me uncomfortable and he followed me home. He was probably, most definitely a stalker.

I would consider giving him a second chance, but at that moment, I was too concerned about the angel who walked through the door.

"Link!" she nearly screamed, running to me. I caught her in my arms and I instantly recognized that cucumber melon scent.

"Stevie!" I was so excited to see her.

She looked like she was doing well, which I was happy about. 

"How are you?" she squealed.

I grinned, "Better."

She was smiling ear to ear, "Oh my goodness, why are you here?"

I laughed, "I'm working."

She rolled her eyes, "I know num nuts. What I mean is why are you here and not at the studio? That place desperately needs you back."

I shrugged, "I've seen the last few episodes. You guys are doing just fine without me."

She shook her head in disagreement, "Link, Rhett is not the same person. Since the minute you walked out the door, he's been dead. All his laughs are fake. Just recently has he started to come back around, but nothing compared to what it used to be."

I sighed, "He's going to be fine, trust me."

She shook her head, "The crew is kind of afraid of him now. He's not mean or anything, just stressed. He's never had to do it on his own and you know Rhett, he isn't the most pleasant when he's stressed."

What? I thought.

Afraid of Rhett? That was ridiculous. He was a jolly giant.

"We miss you Link. I miss you. I know you're struggling with some stuff right now, but know that Mythical Entertainment was something you started with your best friend. And giving that up sounds awfully foolish."

She hugged me one last time before she walked out. I guess she forgot why she came in in the first place.

On my way home, I thought about the things Stevie had said. I thought about everything.

She made a good point.

Stevie always knew just what to say.

-----

I wish I was better at this lol

Thanks for being your mythical best!

-Robin