Stalker

(PLEASE READ PREVIOUS CHAPTER TITLED "13 POUNDS" BEFORE READING THIS. THANKS!)

In the week that followed, I had gotten a sudden call from Rhett.

It was 3 a.m. when my phone went off, but I slept through it. I slept through everything these days.

The next morning, I debated on whether or not to call him back.

My stomach twisted into knots at the idea of hearing his sweet voice again, but I was afraid of what he had to say. I was not ready for 3 a.m. phone calls yet or ever really.

Mentally, I wasn't ready for Rhett either.

So I left it be. I didn't call back, or text, or even acknowledge it. I tried to forget about it.

But then he knocked on my door.

I was in the bathroom, just showered for the first time is four days when he knocked. I hadn't heard that in such a long time that my heart jumped out of my chest and I almost screamed.

But instantly, my body when cold. My stomach turned sour, and I took a look at myself in the mirror.

"No, not yet, Rhett," I thought, "Please, go away."

It was so ironic.

I was asking him to leave me alone these days.

But he knocked again.

And again. 

And again.

He didn't give up. 

I ran to my room and grabbed the first pair of shorts I could find and slid into my best smelling t-shirt.

I slid my glasses up my nose and brushed my hair back.

I looked for deodorant or cologne even, but came up short.

My heart was beating so fast. I was so nervous to see him.

I hoped he was doing well and he was happy, I thought.

That's what I've always wanted for him.

I slid on a pair of sneakers and jogged to the door.

Another knock.

I took a deep breath before I turned the lock and twisted the knob.

And there he was. Devin.

Looking at me with that stupid smile on his face.

"Hello Link!" he greeted me.

My heart sunk deep into my stomach. 

So many thought ran through my mind.

But the most important, "How did you find out where I lived?" I asked, angrily.

Devin stepped back, "Whoa, calm down. It's cool bro. I'm not a stalker or anything."

I tilted my head, "Excuse me? Don't tell me to calm down. This is my house and you shouldn't be here."

He was frowning now, "Man, look, I'm sorry. I just wanted to stop by and ask if you wanted to hang out tonight. Maybe go for some drinks?"

I shook my head, rage building up inside of me, "What the hell, Devin? You can't just show up and expect me to be cool about this. How do you know where I live?"

He swallowed, "I, um, I followed you home from work the other day - NOT because I was meaning to follow you but because I was going the same direction..."

"Are you stalking me?"

"Of course not!" he protested, "I just...look, I want to get to know you better. You seem like such a cool guy and you also seem very lonely. Just, come out for drinks with me tonight. Please?"

I closed my eyes. Trying not to blow up. 

"I'm not someone you want to get to know, Devin. I don't want to be your friend and you shouldn't want to be mine. Stop following me and go home. I'm not in the mood for this shit. Not today. Not ever."

Devin looked to his feet and pulled on the hem of his shirt. He was upset. I upset him.

"Okay. I'll go home. But know you'll always be lonely if you keep pushing people away. I don't know what or who made you like this, but I'm telling you there is a way to be happy aside from all of it."

He stepped down of the porch steps and started towards his car. Right before I shut the door, he looked up.

His eyes were red and he looked so sad, he spoke, "Call me if you need anything. I'll see you at work."

And then he was in his car and driving down the road. Away and out of sight.

I sighed.

A sudden guilt washed over me. 

"Ruining things again, Neal? Good job," I said to myself.

I closed the door and went back to the bathroom.

I grabbed the box of matches sitting on the counter and opened them. I took one out and admired its beauty. Why did I find it beautiful?

A match, a simple match. So beautiful.

I ran it across the now black strip on the side of the box and it lit up in a flame.

I watched it burn, then blew it out once it was to my finger tips.

I closed the box and slid them under the cabinet. 

I shouldn't have went off like that. He was just trying to be friends...in a real creepy way but still...friends.

I walked to the kitchen and looked in the fridge. I grabbed a bottle of water and slurped it down. It calmed my stomach, but did nothing for my hunger.

But I wouldn't eat. I'd have a saltine or two, but I felt sick if anything more.

After eating the cracker, I went to bed again. 

It was always bedtime for me.

I was a better person when I couldn't hurt anyone.

So I slept.

And slept.

And slept.