Figure It Out

Rhett never looked at another man while we were together. He never looked at a woman either. He never seemed interested. I truly believe he wasn't.

Rhett didn't care about anyone but me. He tried so hard to make sure I was happy at all times. And for the most part, he succeeded. But sometimes he just couldn't win. I was just upset.

He couldn't look at another man without me secretly wondering if he was involved in an affair. Rhett would shake hands with someone and I began to over analyze the touch.

It became too much for Rhett, I think.

I was so attached. I texted him in all my spare time, and I was always at his house, or begging him to come to mine. The night Rhett told me "no" for the first time came as a shock and ended in heartbreak.

I called him, asking him if he wanted to go out for dinner. We had a long day a work, and although I had been there with him, I felt like I hadn't seen him at all. I just wanted to kiss him over a plate of nachos.

But Rhett seemed to have other plans. Plans that didn't involve me.

"Sorry, Link. I have plans tonight," he said, sounding annoyed.

"What plans? With who?"

He sighed, "Does it matter, Link?"

I suddenly went cold, "Yes, Rhett. As a matter of fact, it does. You're my boyfriend and I would like to know where you are."

"Should I print you out a schedule of when I use the bathroom too? Wouldn't that just make your life so much easier?" he was being bratty now. Talking to me in a way he never had.

"What's your problem Rhett? I just wanted to go get dinner."

He laughed into the phone, then took a long drawn out breath, "Link, I've got to go."

A part of me wished he was lying, but when he hung up the phone, I let the anger speak.

I stood, taking off my dressy clothes, throwing them into the back of my closet. I changed into a pair of jogging shorts and a t-shirt. I laced up my sneakers and was out the door.

I liked to run with things between Rhett and I got hard. It helped me clear my head and breathe a little. I ran down the block and back. And by the time my house was visible, I could see Rhett sitting on my front steps. His head in his hands.

I smiled on the inside, seeing him was like seeing the prettiest flower on the hottest day. Making everything worth it.

I ran up to him, sweaty and breathing hard. He caught my eyes with his and then I felt numb.

I knew what was happening and he hadn't even made a sound.

"Link, we need to talk."

"What did I do wrong?" I asked, unable to sit. I was standing in front of him, my hot body gone cold.

"How did I mess up? Just tell me, and I'll do better, I -"

"Link, just sit." He wasn't in the mood. He wasn't happy but he knew what he had to do. Rhett always knew.

"Link, I love you, I really, really do, but -"

"If you love me, we can figure this out together. Don't do it Rhett...I'm not ready..."

He stood then, unable to handle me anymore. He broke.

"Listen, I tried to figure it out. I tried to give you everything you needed. My time, my space, my love and you took advantage of it. I can't do anything for myself anymore Link. I can't breath. You always jump to conclusions and you worry too damn much. You're ridiculous. I'm tired of playing the "you'll figure it out" game because I have figured it out. I'm breaking up with you."

Time stopped. My body couldn't feel anymore. I didn't blink, though I felt the tears welding up, blurring my vision.

He was quiet now, starring at me with those warm eyes. They weren't warm anymore. Just ice.

"Link, you're still my best friend and you always will be. I promise."

And with that, he was in his car, and gone.

------------------

GUYS IT'S BEEN SO DAMN LONG. AND I'M SO DAMN SORRY.

I MISS THIS. WRITING. THE WORDS AND THE PASSION. I'M SO GLAD TO BE BACK. I REALLY HOPE I CAN KEEP THIS UP. I WORK A LOT SO I'M BUSY BUT I WILL TRY AND DO BETTER.

THANKS FOR STICKING THIS OUT WITH ME. YOU'RE ALL SO AMAZING AND I LOVE YOU!

THANKS FOR BEING YOUR MYTHICAL BEST!

- ROBIN