Best Friends

The weeks to follow were better than expected. Rhett and I had lunch together regularly, we hung out on the weekends, and laughed like old times.

There was no talk of our past relationship and no talk of how it ended. But I still found myself catching his eye. Starring at him as if he were a golden statue.

Sometimes I would catch him starring at me. Part of me believed he still had feelings for me but I told myself I was just dreaming. As much as I wanted Rhett, I couldn't fathom the idea of us getting back together. It wouldn't happen, and if it did, we would probably just crash and burn.

He had grown up over the past few months. I had become a child in his backseat and maybe he still considered me one.

I wouldn't deny it.

I've gotten better, less clingy. I let Rhett have his space and his own time. I don't ask anymore, just take when offered. It works better this way, even if it makes me a little unhappy.

It had been almost a month and a half since the breakup and I was doing alright.

The mythical beasts eventually found out. There was an uproar, a very intense response. They wanted every small, personal detail that I wasn't comfortable sharing. And in all reality, it was my right to keep that little bit of information between Rhett and I.

Rhett blew it off saying that we were just better off friends. I agreed, but only for the cameras.

The crew knew just as much as the beasts. All for except Stevie who I vented to a few days after being back.

She was understanding. She said she had been in a situation nearly identical. "It's probably best that we are apart, but only time will tell," she said.

That made my stomach turn. 

I didn't like other people telling me Rhett and I weren't good for each other. I didn't like hearing negative opinions about our sexuality or relationship. That's why I had to ban myself from social media and comments for a while until I could find my head.

I was always really good about comments, but lately, they had just gotten to me like they had gotten to Rhett.

A few days after we had came out as a couple, I walked in on Rhett crying in the office. He was reading the comments on the video, wiping away single tears that had began to fall. 

Rhett had never been hated on like that. So many things were said, so many harsh things. Rhett didn't know how to take it, so he just cried. 

He took the regular dumb insults in stride, but when people started telling him how wrong he was, he felt like a broken dam in a river.

And now, people are telling us the same harsh things. Insulting us and throwing us under buses we don't even ride.

"They're pathetic" Stevie says, "the people who love you are the only ones worth your time and worry."

She was right.

We got over things. We stopped letting other people tell us what was right and wrong. We were ourselves. 

Dumb. Quirky. Best friends. 

-------

Short chapter but honestly, I like it. I wasn't very happy with last chapter so maybe I can go to bed feeling alright with this one. 

I'll try to update again tomorrow, but no promises! I'm a busy girl.

Thank you all for reading though! Please leave your comments below telling me what you think! I'd love to know!

Thanks for being your mythical best!

- Robin