Kit-Kat

That night, Rhett keep me warm. He held me while I slept. He made no effort to leave or shy away.

He sat with me on the bed while he explained how he felt about himself and where he had been for the time we were apart.

He knew he had gained weight and he was ashamed but he said he'd work on it if I worked on my issues.

I agreed to but I wasn't sure how long it would take for me to build back an appetite. I was also concerned about wanting the matches. I knew they were there, but I let them go for tonight.

Rhett knew it would be hard for me too. He said that I could break the habit but it would take time. I probably would relapse at some point but he promised to be there for me when it happened.

He told me he wanted me to be comfortable in my own skin even if there were scars.

So I slept naked that night, free to the world.

It all felt so dumb now. Hiding it from him. Now that it was all said and done, I felt so much better.

Laying with Rhett was a beautiful thing, but waking up to him was even more special.

"Morning," he yawned, cuddling up to me.

"Good morning," I grinned.

He looked so tired. We had been up late talking, so I was too.

"How'd you sleep?" he asked, trying to sit up.

I stretched my arms out, remembering I was naked and laughed, "Very well. But I might need some clothes now."

He laughed, "You sure?"

I cocked a brow, "Are you implying that I should not put on clothes?"

He shrugged, "Maybe, but that's just because I like looking at your birthday suit."

I shook my head, "Oh shut up, you little -"

He stood then, running to the bathroom to escape the punches I was throwing at him.

I ran after him, only to be cut off by the door being slammed shut.

He laughed on the other side, claiming to be using the toilet.

"Sure," I giggled and then stepped into my boxers. 

I began to pick up the clothes and tidy up my room when Rhett opened the bathroom door holding a box of matches and a lighter in his hands.

It felt as if Rhett had just found my deepest darkest secret all over again and it sucked.

I had forgotten to push them back to the back of the cabinet after yesterday.

"This hurts me too, Link. It hurts me to see these and know what you've done with them. It does. It's not easy. But I want you to do this. I want you to throw them away. It'll help, I promise."

I was speechless. I couldn't bring myself to say okay. I didn't say anything.

"Link," he walked towards me, "This is for the best, okay?"

I took a deep breath, taking in everything that was happening and nodded, "O-okay."

I took them from him. They fit in my hands just right. It kind of felt like I was throwing away a part of me. And I guess I was. I had let the matches take over my life in a negative way, but still, in some way. It wasn't that I didn't want to throw them away, it was just the fear of needing them, I think.

Rhett grabbed me by the waist and led me to the bathroom.

There, I stood looking at myself in the mirror. I couldn't keep my eyes of the scars. They were now memories and I hated them.