Foodie

The next morning I expected to wake up without Rhett beside me. Part of me thought he'd run away in the night, leaving me because he saw what a mess I was and hadn't even breached the surface.

But to my delight, he was laying right beside me, snoring like a baby elephant. His mouth was wide open, blowing out his acidic morning breath. I didn't mind though. It was comforting.

I looked at the time to see it was only 9 a.m. If Rhett weren't here, I would be laying back down to sleep. My favorite thing to do.

But instead, I crawled out of the bed, careful not to wake Rhett and rushed to the bathroom.

In there, I did my business on the toilet and then found myself under the sink, grabbing for my enemies.

They were front and center from the the night before. I quickly slid the lighters into the boxes with the matches and pushed them to the back of the cabinet. I then pulled my extra toilet paper forward. 

I knew Rhett wouldn't go digging through my things, but he would look for toilet paper if he had to. So I just wanted to make sure there was no room for any questions.

Just as I closed the cabinet door, I heard a knock on the door, "Link, you in there?"

"Yeah," I said, smiling to myself. It just felt too good to hear his voice. 

"Do you have an extra toothbrush? My breath is awful."

I laughed, "I do, actually," I said, opening the door.

He stood there shirtless and smiling.

He must have slipped his shirt off in the middle of the night. He was always hot natured, so it made sense.

He had lost some of his muscle and looked as if he had gained a few pounds. His pudge was definitely more prominent but not overly exaggerated. He must be eating good, I thought. But he was still a sight for sore eyes.

I handed him the toothbrush and switched places with him. He quickly went to brushing his teeth and laid it next to mine when he was finished. 

"So what's for breakfast?" he asked then, making his way to the kitchen.

I suddenly felt sick to my stomach. There was nothing in the kitchen, nothing but a jar of peanut butter, a box of saltines, and a 24 pack of bottled water.

He'd question why my cabinets were so empty. He'd get it out of me too.

"Oh, there's not really much in there," I said, praying he'd stop and turn around. But he didn't. He kept going.

"I'm starving. You got cereal right? You always have cereal."

He was at my fridge now. No cereal sat on top.

He opened the fridge and sighed, "Link, what have you been eating?"

I swallowed hard, "Peanut butter."

I didn't know what to say, so I said what first came to mind.

"Typical."

I tried to giggle, but I fell awkwardly short.

He turned to me, a sad look on his face, "Okay. Well, how about we go out and get something?"

I started to say yes but was interrupted by the loud thudding at my front door.

Rhett looked up, wide eyed, "Damn. What the hell do they what?"

I remembered that thudding, that excessive banging on my door from yesterday when Devin showed up.