Working Man

The next morning I put on my khakis and green polo. I gelled my hair back and wiped my glasses clean of smudges. On the way out the door, I checked my mailbox. Nothing.

The drive was short and before long I was training to be a cashier in a whole new place. 

The manager was there now, showing me the ropes. She was a nice lady but stern. You wouldn't want to get on her bad side is all I'm saying. 

And Devin was there too. The guy who got me the job. He was on the second register, working as normal.

He was a good looking guy. Long blonde hair, pulled back into a bun, with the darkest green eyes. He was tall too, but not as tall as Rhett. He wasn't as pretty either. No one was.

He kept looking back at me, grinning.

He gave me a thumbs up, to indicate that I was doing well, I guess.

After a while, Tina let me be. "You're on your own now, Charles. I trust you. If you need anything, Devin will be right here. Don't be afraid to ask."

I smiled, as she waved me goodbye and then it was just us and the lady he was ringing up. Once she was gone, he turned to me.

"Well, thoughts?" he smirked.

"Not a dream job, but I need the money."

He laughed. "Is that so?"

I nodded, "Isn't that what work is for?"

He shrugged his shoulders, "I guess that all depends on the job. But I think you'll come to like it here. We're a little short staffed at the moment, so you should get plenty of hours."

I sighed, "Great."

A customer came up to my register then. A big man, with his wife. He was buying a few Gatorades and a couple of candy bars.

I rang them up quickly, without emotion, and they were gone.

Devin laughed, "So tense. Relax a little okay?"

I nodded.

The rest of the day went by a little like that. Devin talking, while I rang up customer after customer.

At the end of the day, Devin gave me another thumbs up, "You're good for a rookie. Keep it up and I might have to give you my hours too."

He left,  smiling like he had won the lottery.

I walked quietly to my car. I didn't want to go home but would anyway.

I turned up the radio and sat back. 

I listened to each song, them all reminding me of Rhett. Why? I thought. Why do I feel like this? Why do I love him so badly?

I put the key in the ignition and drove home.

Moments later I recieved a call from Rhett.

I refused to answer. Instead, I headed for the bathroom. I turned the knob of the tub and got in once it was full enough.

The water was cold, but my rage made it warm.

I rested myself in the water for what seemed like hours, before I began to sing. 

I sang so clearly and happily. I sang as if nothing was wrong.

My phone rang again.

I ignored it.

I had to move on. Without Rhett.

I would find a way. 

Even if it killed me.

-------------

Excuse me? Is this an update? My word.

Not sure how I feel about it, but hope you guys enjoyed. I'm so sorry about being gone so long. It's been a good two months. I just need to get my head in the game and focus a little more on my writing.

Thanks for sticking it out with me. I love you guys.

Thanks for being your mythical best!

-Robin