20

Diamond was telling the truth about what she said. "A mirror? Where?" I asked. She shook her head. "I can't tell you. And if I did, you wouldn't be able to get through. You need all 6 rulers to get through the mirror. The 'birthmark' on your palms gets you through." She explained. Me and Mitch looked at each other then at our palms. We had the same mark. An X with a diamond in the middle. "Alright. Stay here. Mitch, a word." I said, getting up and going to the dining room. Diamond stayed put and Mitch followed me.

"She's not lying." I said, turning to look at him. "I know. Which means we need her." He said, clearly not wanting her around. "She could be useful. She tracks. I mean, yeah, we track, but she tracks deeper and further than we can. We do need her. For multiple reasons." I said. He sighed but didn't respond. "Come on. She can't be that bad. If it helps, she wants to help us." I said. Mitch thought for a second. "Okay," he said finally, "but only because I know you wouldn't lie to me." I smiled and hugged him. "Hey. We get to run away. And we get to rule over something together. It'll be great." I told him, looking up at him. He chuckled and kissed me. "Yeah. It will be great." He said. We went out to Diamond, who was looking at some family photos on the walls from when my parents were around. She wasn't just looking at them though. She was studying them.

I sighed and walked up behind Diamond, gently placing my hand on top of her head and giving her power back. She took a sharp deep breath as I did. When I let go she fell off the couch coughing. "Okay. You have you're power back. And you've mentioned that you're terrified of Ginger. Why not stick with us?" I asked. She looked up at me with a happy expression and nodded. She stood up and cleared her throat. "So uh... What now?" She asked. I looked at Mitch. "Go home and pack a bag. Come back when you're done, though it won't take you long at all." He said. Diamond nodded, then she turned to one of the pictures on the wall, the one that was taken a few weeks before I killed my parents. "By the way Derrick," she said, turning to me, "I understand why you did it." She left after saying it.

I looked at the picture, remembering everything that had happened that day. My mom had beaten me before we left to take the photo, my dad had beaten me when we got home from it, and they both beat me later that night when they got drunk. Mitch squeezed my shoulder softly to pull me back to reality. Unknowingly, I flinched. "Sorry.." He said softly, letting go. I turned around and hugged him. I didn't know what to say. Even if, words wouldn't come out. Mitch hugged back tightly and kissed the top of my head. "You don't have to worry about me hurting you. I'll never do that to you." He said. I nodded. We heard the car pull up. Adrian got out, but it was noticeable that he wasn't angry anymore. He was happy.