Chapter 23

Chapter 23

The soft moonlight and starlight filtered through the closed drapes covering the windows in the Goblin King's bedchamber. A lone figure slept in the massive bed. Another figure sat in a large comfortable not too far away, watching the woman asleep in the bed.

Letting out a heavy sigh, Jareth leaned forward and rested his head into his hands. Raising his head slightly, Jareth glanced at Sarah again. At least, she wasn't having trouble sleeping, which helped somewhat. He might as well just go look over some reports or something in his study. Sarah wouldn't know, unless she woke up. But he just couldn't pull his eyes away from watching her sleep. At least one of them could get some sleep.

Time was passing by, and he needed to get to sleep. He needed to correspond with his generals in the morning. The enemy had not made a move since before the wedding, but Jareth knew something was brewing. He had learned in the early evening yesterday, that the word had spread of his and Sarah's wedding. Sarah didn't know just yet. Now she would be heavily guarded when not in their chambers.

Sighing, Jareth rose out of the chair. Turning his head away, he began walking towards the door to the corridor.

"Jareth, what's wrong?"

Jareth stopped and turned towards the bed.

Sarah sat up with the covers over her raised knees, looking at him.

"I though you were asleep, Sarah."

Sarah shook her head. "Can't sleep. What's wrong?"

Jareth sighed. "Don't worry about it. Go to sleep."

Sarah threw the covers off and got out of the bed. "Something's wrong. You've been acting off since before dinner."

Jareth almost groaned. "Nothing's wrong.

She crossed her arms over her chest. "Jareth, I know that something is wrong. Now tell what's going on."

Why did she have to look so wonderful standing there in her nightgowen with anger in her eyes?

Jareth took a deep breath. "They know, Sarah."

She glared at him. "Know what? That we've been married for a week? That's no surprise. We didn't exactly hid it from the world." She took a breath. "So what now? I'll have armored guards following me now instead of the ones who dress as servants?"

Gulping, Jareth groaned. She knew about the guards. Higgle had warned him. "Among other things, Sarah. I had hoped they wouldn't learn this quickly."

Sarah nodded. "Okay, I figured as much. I'll deal with the new guards, and you will meet with your generals to discuss a coarse of action in the morning."

Jareth shook his head. "Sarah, you don't seem to understand what their knowing truly means?"

Lowering her arms to her side, Sarah's face softened. "My time's almost up."

Jareth nodded. "Yes, unfortunately, but I'll do my best to give you as long as you need." (Just please hurry up with it.)

Sarah took a deep breath. 'Understood. Now, where are you going?"

Jareth groaned. "To my study."

"Ah, why? There's plenty of room in the bed." She looked at him. "What else is wrong?"

"Nothing's wrong that you need to worry about." Jareth regretted the words almost as soon as they came out. Now she was really going to worry about it.

Sarah sighed. "Jareth, I can't help you, if you don't tell me what's wrong."

She was right, but how exactly to tell her that it had more to do with how he reacted to having her in the bed beside him and not being able to do as he wished.