Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Sunlight filtered down through the leaves of the surrounding trees. The trunks of the trees sparkeled as if they were covered in glitter. A couple walked along a paved path. The only sounds were the songs of the birds in the trees.

Something was wrong. It couldn't be something terribly big, but something was wrong. First, Vivienne had told him to take Sarah on a walk to talk. Then the entire time Sarah hadn't said a word. Mostly she had looked at the passing landscape around them. What could it be? Her gown was coming along, so he had been told. The flowers had been chosen, too. It wasn't anything about the wedding. He slowed a bit allowing Sarah to walk ahead of him.

"Sarah, is something wrong?"

She stopped and slowly turned to face him. "No, nothing's wrong."

"Then why did Vivienne push me to take you for a walk? If something is wrong, please tell me."

Sighing, she hung her head. "Nothing is wrong persay. It's just everything is happening so fast." Sarah raised her head. "I can't keep up with everything. And to add ot it all, I'm marrying someone I don't really know in less than a week." She took a deep breath once she was finished.

That was all it was. Jareth smiled softly. "Sarah, I know things have been happening very quickly. You've handled them all so well so far. As far as the not really knowing me part, ask me whatever you would like to know."

"I'm barely holding together."

"You could've fooled me, Sarah."

"Very funny." Sighing, she closed her eyes. "I feel overwhelmed by everything. I'm staying strong for Toby. I can't fall apart when he needs me."

Jareth walked over to her and gently took hold of her hands. "I'm sorry that I didn't realize that you haven't had a shoulder to cry on. Sarah, I'm here when you need me. I may be very powerful, but I can't read your mind."

A smile slowly formed on her face as she opened her eyes. "Thanks, I just figured lately that with the coming war and all..."

"Sarah, if you need to talk to me tell me. Yes, the War is important, but so are you. I want us to work. I don't want us not speaking to each other for years or fighting all the time. I know we'll fight. It's given."

"It's sorta hard to talk to someone when you rarely see them, too."

Jareth sighed. "I know, and I'm sorry. I have so much I have to do. I'll do my best to do more than just have dinner with you."

"I'll hold you to it."

Jareth nodded. "Now ask whatever questions you wish to get to know me better."

"Really? Anything?"

"Anything you wish to know. If it is something that I can't allow you to know I won't tell you."

"Is there a lot I can't know?"

"No, so don't worry."

"Why can't I know? Is it cause I'm mortal?"

"No and no. You can't know about certain things because you aren't me."

"Oh."

"The few things I won't be able to tell you have to do with being High King. I will only tell them to my heir just before he becomes High King." Jareth slowly released her hands.

His heir. His son. His and Sarah's son. Oh, how he couldn't wait for their family to begin. But at the moment he needed to answer Sarah's questions.