Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Dark dangerous clouds filled the sky above the Labyrinth. Lightening flashed among the clouds. Patrolling along the walls of the Goblin City, were huge hulking beasts. Creatures about half the size of men stood guard at the gates and along the top of the walls. The smaller goblins hid inside their homes inside the Goblin City. Fear filled the city.

Above the roofs of the city, inside the Castle Beyond The Goblin City, the Goblin King had returned in full regalia. He stood beside the Goblin Throne in the empty throne room. There were no drunken goblins laying around as they had been the last time he was here. His mood matched the storm outside. The Labyrinth was already repairing the stone section of itself, but it was calling for its queen. Damn, they would need to be married sooner than planned. Had the enemy discovered she was here? Learned of the wedding? He walked over to the large opened window and sat on the ledge. Looking out over the Labyrinth, Jareth sighed. Sarah wasn't ready for any of this, but there was no more time. But he would give her the wedding he had promised. Already, the Seamstress had received word to have the gown completed in a day. The flowers were being gathered. So in two days time, he and and Sarah would be officially married. Till then he would do his best to protect the Labyrinth on his own.

Below him his army gathered. Goblins patrolled the walls surrounding the Goblin City, and the creatures of the Labyrinth were preparing for battle. The Labyrinth itself was preparing as it was repairing. The poor fools who dared to attack again would regret it.

Hearing a pop behind him, Jareth turned his head slightly. "I take it Vivienne didn't take the news well."

"No, Sarah grabbed hold of Toby and wouldn't stop crying. You just had to leave me to deal with that. Didn't you, Jareth?"

Jareth turned to face Julian. "I didn't have a choice. For now they have retreated."

"So I take it the wedding has been moved up?"

"Two days. It's the fastest to give Sarah what I promised."

"I think she would forgive you. She needs to be here, Jareth. The Labyrinth is only at half strength."

"I know, Julian, but I refuse to not allow her to have some say in things."

Julian sighed. "What can be done tonight?"

"All that can has been done. Now we wait."

"Then should I return to the Palace?"

Jareth stood up and shook his head. ""No, at least, not yet. For now I need you here."

"Jareth, what good am I here? You said all that could be done tonight was done."

Jareth walked to the Goblin Throne. "I may need your help. I have yet to choose my wedding attire."

"Jareth, you don't need me for that. Wait, why don't you really want me to leave?"

Sighing, Jareth sat in the Goblin Throne. "I can't leave. So I need you to be the messenger to my other allies."

"Why? You have your crystals."

"They can be intercepted. You can't. First, return to the Palace and explain about the wedding to Sarah and Vivienne. Then travel among our allies and tell them what's going on, but not tell them of the wedding."

"All right. Is there anything else?"

"I need you to escort Sarah, Toby, and Sarah's friends here tomorrow." Jareth frowned for a moment. “Be sure Elwyn comes with you as well.”

Julian nodded. "Done. I'm to bring Vivienne as well?"

"Yes."

"So will you sleep on the sofa here too?" Julian smirked.

Jareth sighed. "I've had the Queen's Chamber's prepared."

"Why have you spent the last month on a sofa anyway?"

Jareth sighed. "Because it was the closest room to where Sarah was sleeping and I could sneak inside and watch her sleep if I wished."

"Don't tell her about that." Julian tried to hide a smile.

Jareth glared at him. "I know that."

Julian nodded. "Well, I'm off to do your bidding. Want me to send word when I'm finished?"

"No, just return to the Palace."

"All right. Good luck, Jareth."

Jareth watched as Julian disappeared in a shower of glitter. Now that he was alone, Jareth twisted himself to the side and lifted his legs over one of the arms, leaning back against the other closing his eyes.

How would Sarah feel about being married in this room instead of the one at the Palace? Would Toby remember what had happened here five mortal years ago? What would Sarah and he tell the boy if he did?

Sighing, Jareth opened his eyes. That would all be dealt with in time; he knew. For now, he needed to focus on the fact he had an enemy army somewhere outside the Labyrinth.