Chapter Five

Days went by as fast as possible, and soon a week was up. Layla would be leaving soon and my heart would break as quickly as when Joe Sugg left. Joe... I never forgot about our encounter or how he looked, what he wore... Perfection had a whole new meaning. After my encounter I have been catching up with him on YouTube and looking at his videos in a new light. He was a genuine person, and I could tell when we met. He never called attention upon himself for having a million subscribers, but he had an air of confidence, which I found.. Sexy? No. Attractive. Sexy was a word used to describe people who looked like trash and wanted to get laid for fun- that was definitely not his intention. Every time I thought about him my heart raced, but why was it him? I couldn't possibly have feelings for him, could I?
"When is your orientation again?" Layla asked packing her bags. After not talking to mom in a week, she contacted the hotel's manager and asked to speak to us. It was embarrassing, yet at the same time it was lovely to hear her again. She never really gets mad anymore, but when she does, you know. The call was a 'friendly' reminder that my sister had to leave London on Friday (for it would be a week), or else there would be dire consequences. Never in my life have I had more quality time with my sister.
I looked at her, smiled, and replied," in two weeks.. Thursday I think.." I went over to her side and helped her finish packing. "I don't want you to go... Really."
"Me either, this has been the best week ever. Plus Joe Sugg was staring at my ass so..." She giggled and threw a bra at me. I caught it and threw it back. For the whole week, Layla and I have been visiting unknown areas and making the most of them. There was an old bookstore near our hotel and when we entered, it was heaven. Books were piled high to the ceiling and I bought The Great Gatsby in paperback. This unique shop was definitely a place I had to check out more. Without Layla these dives would only be places and our adventure would seize for a few weeks.
"Oh shut up. You know he was clearly looking at me," I said flipping my hair. She shook her head and continued to pack. Life was going to be hard with her gone, and by life I mean two weeks. It seemed like forever anyways.
"Do you need me to go to the airport with you?" I asked deeply saddened by the fact that I was going to not be seeing her.
"Duh, of course I do!" Her perfect self was gleaming now with a newfound happiness and I turned away, unsatisfactory with her reaction of leaving. Even though she would miss it here; I still had a feeling she would rather be home with her friends. I took the card with Graham's number on it and I heard a husky British voice answer, "Hello?"
"Hi, may I speak with Graham? My name is Mari-" I heard yelling in the background of the phone.
"Marilyn? Hello, how are you! What's going on?" He sounded surprised to hear me, but he was excited and happy nonetheless.
"I'm doing fine, thanks. I just need a favor, a ride to be more specific... Layla is going home... It's going to be traumatic," I said dramatically into the phone. Layla smiled and continued packing.
"Of course, are you staying at the same hotel?" He asked. I heard keys jingling from the background and a car engine in the distance.
"It's on me. I'm off the clock." I smiled in response to him and said," thank you sir," and hung up. Within ten minutes, Graham was at the hotel and we slumbered down to the taxi. I did not want Layla to leave because after this we will only see each other for a while after I go back to the U.S... I got teary-eyed at the time being and wished that I could make her stay.. Oh well, at least we have Skype.
"Good afternoon ladies, airport I assume?" Graham asked looking at my solemn face. I nodded and he drove on.
"I'm coming to the hotel after, can you stay here while I drop her off?" I asked looking back and forth from Layla to the window.
"Of course," he looked in the rear view mirror to get a view of me and I looked away quickly after noticing.
The ride to the airport was quiet. It wasn't the regular car ride with my obnoxious sister, it was worse. The tension in the air was so thick you could cut it with a knife, so I interjected, " what are you going to do when you go back?"
"Probably watch your boyfriends YouTube videos..." Just then, the taxi took a sharp turn into the airport and Graham turned stiff. Was it something we said? "I'll be back soon," I said closing my door.
The airport had an air of sadness now, and as we walked through I couldn't help but notice all the sad people leaving their families or loved ones behind. The wheels on Layla's suitcase seemed to stop working and I thought, that was a sign for her to stay. We got up to the security gate and I said my last goodbyes.
"I'm gonna be back soon, like two weeks, I promise!" I hugged her and one little tear escaped from my eye.
"I'll be fine.. It just sucks I didn't get a cute British boyfriend yet..." She laughed and hugged me. The security officer was telling us to 'hurry up' so we said our last words and she left. I hope she continues to pay for our phones because I want to text her and call her everyday! As I turned back around in the solemn airport, I heard a lot of people making noise on the other end of the terminal.
"Man I'm gonna miss you," a dirty blonde boy said to another dirty blonde boy. From here they looked like the same person, but clearly they weren't.
"I'm just going for a week," the second boy said. They embraced each other and everyone behind them were now getting angry and yelling, "hurry up", "get on with it already", and "come on we have places to go." Both of the boys turned around to yell at the people and I realized one of the boys was Joe. Oh god, I have to go that way to get to the taxi. What if he noticed me? What if he doesn't? I closed my eyes and fast walked past the scene they just caused.
"Hey!!!!" He yelled across the room. I did not look back. A hand grabbed my wrist.
"Sorry," he took his hand back, "I forgot your name.. Marilyn wasn't it?"
I shook my head not saying anything.
"You're quiet, what's wrong?" He asked in an awkward way.
"My sister left to go back home.. It's no big deal, it just sucks.." I looked back at where she left and looked at Joe.
"I know the feeling, my flat mate is going to South Africa for a week, it's cool and all, but like you said, it sucks," he waved at the boy and the other boy blew him a kiss which he returned.
"Well I must get going now..." I turned around and my cheeks flushed. I talked to him again, and every time I did, I just imagined his perfection...
"Marilyn, uh, do you have a phone?" He asked running his fingers through his perfect hair. I nodded and he gave me his phone to put my number in. I had to look in my phone to see what my number was, which he laughed about, but I shrugged it off and gave his phone back.
"Maybe we can hang out sometime, I'm free whenever..."
"You have my number, call me or text me," I turned back around and fast walked as he called from behind me, "tomorrow?" I did not respond, I just kept walking. Was I playing hard to get? It didn't seem like it.. He intimidated me. Whenever I saw him on the computer or real life, my heart beat faster than it ever did. I got nervous and sweaty- and my arm would twitch a little bit. He was perfect. Charming. I shook my head of these thoughts because there was one thing he wanted, friendship. Face it, Marilyn, you were already friend zoned. I exited the airport and found Graham in his taxi waiting for me.
"Thanks," I whispered. The ride to the hotel was quiet and short. He didn't have anything to say and neither did I. As we approached the hotel the silence was broken, "my son is on YouTube," he said.
"Excuse me?" I asked opening my door.
"He does YouTube videos. His life is all out in the open.. I don't know how I feel about that.."
"Just love him," I replied stepping out of the car and shutting it. I waved to him and entered the hotel.

Hi it's Joe, what are you doing? My phone buzzed.
Nothing much, just waiting for a text, you? I replied laying on my bed watching television.
From a boy?! And nothing, it's quiet here in the flat. Do you want to go out tonight? I know it sounds weird but I don't mean it like that.. You're a cool girl and we could be bffs.
Wait, what. He wanted me to go out with him tonight? What do I do?
You don't have to come, I know that it sounds creepy and we just met. But.. I guess I miss Caspar so much, I want to go out. He replied in a second text.
Sounds like fun, I'm depressed anyway with my sister being gone. I texted after minutes of contemplating the idea.
Sounds good. I'll pick you up in twenty minutes.
What do I do? What do I wear? Layla come back now.

I put on a plain black dress and put my hair into a ponytail. I kept my makeup to a minimum and looked in the mirror. Just as I was putting some jewelry on, there was a knock at my door.
"Hello?" I looked out in the hall and there was Joe in the flesh, "uh come on in." He entered the room and sat on my bed.
"Am I okay? I feel overdressed..." I looked at him and he had on a relaxed t-shirt and jeans.
"You're fine," he said in a monotone voice. Um... Awkward.
"I'll put shoes on and I'll be ready," I said putting on a pair of red Vans.

The club we went to was full of life and sweating bodies. Joe was at the bar getting a drink and I was standing at a table watching everyone dance. Girls were grinding on boys all over the place and hormones were flying all over the place. I don't think I could handle this much longer. Joe came back with not only one drink, but two.
"I got you one," he replied setting a fruity drink in front of me. I could barely hear him over the moaning on the dance floor and loud music.
"I'm not legal to drink Joe, I'm only eighteen.." I handed him back the drink as he downed his.
"Just do it. I bought it for you, besides I don't drink fruity stuff," he pushed it to me. I took the drink and had a little sip. It was good, surprisingly. It tasted like strawberries, and I love strawberries. After I finished my drink, I went to the dance floor. I danced next to all the boys who wanted me just for the night. I found one boy with brown hair who loved me for the night. He danced with me and I did not want to let him go.
"Let's go home," he whispered to me, alcohol radiating from his breath. He nuzzled my neck and laid kisses on it.
"Maybe another time," I said continually dancing with him, but pushing him away sometimes when he got too close.
"Come on baby, I know you want me.. I can tell. And the boy you came with is doing nothing except dancing with another girl," he turned me to face Joe on the dance floor. There he was dancing with a bunch of half naked girls as they grinded on him. My face grew hot and I was upset. Why would he ask me to go out and then ignore me the whole night? I grabbed the strangers hand, "let's go."

We were at his house. It was quiet and he led me up to his bedroom.
"You look beautiful," he said taking his shirt off slowly. Did I want to go through with this? I've never done.. This before. Sex was not my fortė..
"Thanks, but I don't know if I want to do this.. You're a good guy.." I said backing up slowly to exit the room.
"Babe," he said cupping my breasts rather violently. His breathing deepened and moans arose from his mouth.
"I have to go..." I ran away from him and down his stairs. I opened and closed his house door and ran away. I had to go far away. I took out my phone and called Joe.

"Hello?" He said quietly.
"Are you busy?" I asked whispering, why was I whispering?
"I was..." I heard a female in the background and she was giggling.
"Just making sure you are okay," I said almost silently.
"I would say the same, but you and that boy seemed okay," his voice rose and the girl was quiet.
"Really? You asked me out and left me? Listen can I come over tonight?" I ignored the fact another girl was in his bed.
"It's not a really good time Marilyn..." He whispered. I knew he was going to say that, but there was a part of me who wanted him to say yes.
"Okay," I said and hung up. I was all alone for the night.

I walked along the street, alone and scared. Joe blew me off tonight and it pissed me off. When he asked me to hang out next, if he ever did, I would blow him off. Ugh, my head was killing me. I only remembered having one drink... Did Joe do something to it? I shook my head and walked back to the strangers house. I knocked on the door quietly and hugged my arms. It was cold out and I only had this stupid dress on, this got me in a mess.
"Welcome back beautiful," he said unlocking and opening the door. I went inside the house and closed the door behind me. I wrapped my arms around his body and I kissed him. The best way to get over someone was to get under someone else.