Oh Wow...Swerve

"It's gonna be a great day." My mother persuaded me as she helped me pick out a dress to wear for the baby shower. Not only was this a baby shower, but it would also be our first time knowing the gender. A few weeks ago, I had my 24th-week appointment and had the doctor disclose the gender to my mother and Aunt. They were fantastic when it came to planning events and making everyone enjoy themselves.

I had gained a total of 15 lbs so far. I couldn't fit anything that I had before becoming pregnant. Everything I wore at this point was brand new. I settled with a red floor-length maternity dress.

I decided to ride to the shower with my parents while jack drove with his parents. Things have been a little off since December. I've been distant with Jack, and I've been starting to write more and research more with becoming an author. He had been taking business trips over the couple months, and I didn't even bother to ask why or when he'd be back. I felt like I needed a psych after seeing the shit he did. You watch that shit all the time on T.V. and movies, but in real life, it's sickening.

"Are you feeling okay, baby girl?" My father asked from the driver's seat.

I'd gotten lost in my thoughts again.

"Yeah, everything's good, just a little nervous to see everybody is all."

"It's just people that love you and care about you." My mother attempted to comfort me.

We had the baby shower at a very nice indoor venue on the east side of the city. The ballroom had a chandelier hanging right above the sitting area. The room had pink, yellow, and blue balloons and signs that said, baby. A slide show of Jack and I as babies played on the monitors that surrounded the room.

It was so lovely to see familiar faces, some I hadn't seen in years.

" You and Jack sit at this table." My mother directed, pointing to the table that faced the crowd.

My aunt looked her best in a floral print dress and shoulder-length wand curls.

Jack came walking in with his parents not long after I sat down at our table.

Jack gave me a quick kiss on the cheek before sitting down next to me as my aunt began to speak into a microphone.

"Good Afternoon, I am so glad to have everyone here to celebrate two parents to be and their beautiful unborn child. We all know, especially us older folks, that having kids is not easy, but it is one of the best blessings ever to happen. I'm so excited for Maliyah and Jack, let's all get ready for some baby games!"

"You look beautiful," Jack whispered. We'd been sleeping in separate rooms since the incident. I would barely even look his way unless I'd have to.

First, we played pin the baby to the crib while refraining from saying any "b" words.

"That dress looks stunning on you." Jack's mother complimented.

When she walked away, Jack turned to face me. "How are you? I feel like I haven't seen you or been this close in a long time."

"I'm doing better," I say as I fumble with my nudely painted fingernails.

"Detka...I—" He began. "I need you. I'm fucked up right now. I'm going through a lot."

His touch was warm on my skin.

"You look so good, Maliyah." Jack complimented with soft eyes. "I believe you're missing something, though."

"What's that?" I asked intriguingly. In the back of my mind, I knew he'd pull out that diamond ring I knew all too well, so I shifted my hand, ready for him to slide it up on my naked ring finger.

Instead, he pulled out a white velvet box from his coat before popping it open, revealing two diamond studded earrings.

I was stunned, not only by their beauty but because I was wrong about the ring.

"Jack, baby, they're gorgeous, but that's not going to make me forget," I said with hurt in my voice.

"I'm not trying to make you forget. You need to know I'm a dangerous man, but I'm dangerously in love with you." He ran his fingers through his hair. "Now, please take the got damn earrings as a peace offering. I need you."

I glanced over at the gift table that seemed to be filling up by the minute.

His eyes never broke their contact on me. I began reasoning with myself until I agreed to accept his offering. I needed to release this extra tension between us before the baby comes.

The celebration went on, and we played even more games until it was time for the gender reveal.

The gender of the baby was inside the cake, so Jack and I took the cake knife as everyone watched with anxious eyes, we cut through the cake, revealing the pink frosting.

We were having a baby girl! I couldn't have been more excited to have another daughter in my life. Jack was nearly in tears from excitement. My aunt and mother came running to my side to share their excitement by giving us both hugs and congratulations.

After everyone finished their food, Jack and I began opening presents from everyone. The gifts ranged from bottles to pacifiers to clothes — all the things we'd use.