Never Told

After straightening myself out in the ladies room I returned to the classroom where Jack was picking up the papers he'd thrown on the floor.

"So, let's talk." I said before clearing my throat. "I wanna get to know you, all of you."

"How about we make dinner at your house tonight, and we can discuss whatever you want then?" He negotiated.

I agreed before slinging my book bag onto my back and headed to my car.

I stopped by Karmen's house on my way home to catch up on a couple things. Karmen lived in a nice duplex downtown. When she wasn't working, she was at home enjoying her time with her 7 year old son, Kody. 

I walked up the stairs to her apartment and rang the doorbell. In an instant she swung open the door and her tearful eyes met mine. I furrowed my eyebrows and brought her into a hug not knowing what the conflict was, just knowing she needed a hug.

I came in after we finished hugging and closed the door behind me.

"What's going on?" I said while taking a seat on her cream colored sofa.

"Kody's father is out of jail and he's looking for me." She cried. "He's gonna take my baby away from me."

Kody's father, Jay R , was sentenced to 10 years in prison for drug trafficking. He sold drugs, but he didn't play when it came to his family. Karmen was his high school sweetheart, but when she got pregnant by him his behavior spiraled. He became a mad man. 

"Why do you think he's gonna get Kody?" I asked.

"I've been hearing it around the block, you know how shit spread." She replied.

She reached and grabbed the pack of cigarettes off the wooden coffee table, before sliding one between her lips and lighting it with a lighter.

"Girl, Hell nah put that out." I said before snatching the cigarette and rubbing it into the ash tray that was already full of the cancer sticks.

"I know you're stressed, but if Kody is your concern I can keep him." I offered.

"Would you do that for me?" Her puffy eyes lit up.

"Yeah girl, you know I got your back and I'm sure Jack won't mind."

She stood up from the loveseat and through her arms around me.

"It'll just be for a little while until I can come up with enough money to move."

"Move where?" I asked.

"Michigan with my mama. Jay R never met my mama."

"As long as it's safe."

"Is tonight too soon to take him?" She asked.

"I don't think so. Where is he?"

She pointed down the hallway. "He in there playing with his toys honey." She laughed.
She got up and proceeded to his bedroom and I followed behind her.

"Kody? You're gonna be staying with Auntie Liyah for a little while okay?"

"Can I bring my Xbox and toys?" He asked looking up from his toy Spider-Man.

"Yeah, I don't see why not and Teddy will be super happy to see you!" I chimed in.

"Do you mind bringing home over around 7? I've gotta date tonight."

"With Jack?" She questioned raising her eyebrow.

"Maybe." I laughed.  I'll send you the directions to his house.

"Alright girl, that gives me time to get his stuff together. I'll call you when I'm on the way."

I left Karmen's house and finally headed home. When I unlocked the door Jack was already in the kitchen frying up some chicken.

"Do you know what you're doing?" I asked as I watched him season a piece of chicken and drop it into the already seasoned flour.

"So because I'm white I can't fry chicken?" He laughed revealing his perfect white teeth along with his right dimple I loved so much. 

"I'm just fucking with you." I laughed.

"I'm trying to fuck on you." He said twisting my words.

I rolled my eyes and took a seat on a stool in front of the the counter.

"So my friend is going through something right now and I told her her son could stay with me. Is that okay?"

He placed a piece of chicken into the deep fryer.

"Yeah, this is your house Maliyah. You can have as many guests as you want." He assured.

"You're so kind, Jack."

We sat and talked until dinner was finally done. He made beautifully golden brown fried chicken, mashed potatoes smothered in gravy, and broccoli covered in cheese. After setting the table he filled two glasses up with a red beverage I didn't recognize until I tasted.

"You made koolaid !" I exclaimed after drinking the sugary drink.

"Are you trying to seduce me? Making my favorite foods?"

He took a bite out of his chicken before reaching for the hot sauce.

"Well for what I'm going to tell you, you need to be in a good mood and on my side."

I took a hard swallow. What was it that was so bad that he would question what side I'd be on?

"So my real name is Jackson Kumarin. "

"Okay so what you're not Jackson Porter?" I said while sprinkling hot sauce onto my chicken.

"My father is a mafia affiliate. He's the king of Miami,making me the prince. He travels from time to time from here to Moscow. I became a teacher because I was tired of living that fast life and I wanted something different."

I dropped my fork and began laughing hysterically.

"So you think I'm going to sit here and believe that you are some thug ass mafia gangster ?" I've seen gangsters and you my friend are not that at all.

"Have you not seen the tattoos on my back? Do you know what they mean?" His voice intensified.

I didn't say a thing I just sat there chewing my food in hopes Ashton Kutcher would pop out saying I was being pranked, but he never came.

My father is Russian. These are Russian tattoos in respect for my family's legacy as mobsters.  

I googled the tattoo on his back that read Vorovskoi mir. A term meaning "Thieves'World."

"How do I know you just haven't brushed up on your information?" I asked.

"Malysh, ty moya prekrasnaya koroleva, ya nikogda ne solgu, chtoby prichinit' tebe bol." He spoke in Russian fluently not taking a moment to think. (Baby, you are my beautiful queen, I'd never lie to hurt you. )