Note to Self

I woke up on the couch in my bra and panties. My head was pounding, and I felt regretful from drinking all that alcohol. The pots and pans rumbling and tumbling in the kitchen didn't help. I got up from the couch and wrapped myself in the throw blanket. 

"Good morning," Jack said while standing in my kitchen. 

"What are you doing here?"

"I'm cooking. We had a rough day yesterday, so I thought I'd cook you something." He explained. Teddy stood in the kitchen, waiting for something to fall on the floor. 

"Uhh, alright. I'm going to take a shower and put on some clothes. 

I took an ibuprofen to combat the throbbing migraine before getting in a hot shower. While I searched for something to wear, I heard a knock on the front door. 

Who the hell could that be?

I settled with a pair of jeans and an old high school t-shirt.  When I walked back into the living room, Jack was talking to a middle-aged woman standing inside the doorway.

  When I walked back into the living room, Jack was talking to a middle-aged woman standing inside the doorway

"How'd you get back here?" Jack asked. 

"Well, I knocked on the main door at the house, and no one answered, and I knew someone was here, so I just came back here to check." She admitted. "I just wanted to see how my son was doing."

"I'm doing fine, mama."

"Oh what a pleasant surprise, I didn't know you had company." The woman said while locking eyes with me. 

"She's my girlfriend, mom," Jack lied.

I coughed. 

"Isn't that right, baby ?" He said, motioning for me to come over to him.

Something wasn't right, but I decided it'd be best to play along.

"Yes," I lied while taking his hand in mine.

"Maliyah, this is my mother, Dianne."

"It's lovely to meet you." Dianne chirped.

Dianne pulled me into a tight hug. Her perfume reeked of wealth and cleanliness. I could tell that she wasn't going to be my cup of tea. 

"Well, are you gonna invite your mama in?" She said while stepping past the entrance.

"So how long have you two been dating ?"  She asked before plopping on the couch.

"Almost a month," Jack answered. "But what are you doing here, mom?"

"I was in town and wanted to stop and see how my son was doing." She answered.

"Where's papa?"

"He's at home taking care of some family business."

"Did something happen?" Jacked shifted in his chair as if the topic made him uneasy. 

"Yeah, well, you know your father always keeping me out of the loop. Have you explained our family business with Maliyah? If she's going to be around for some time, she should know what she's in for."

"Mom, I'm so glad you stopped by and visited, but I think it's time for you to leave," Jack said while walking to the door and opening it for his mother.

"Well, it was really nice meeting you, Ms. Maliyah. Hopefully, you can get him to settle down sometime soon."

When she was gone, Jack closed the door and turned to me, knowing how I felt already.

"What is she talking about?" I urged. "What exactly am I in for?"

"I haven't told you everything about me, but you haven't been telling me everything either, so don't give me that look." He scolded.

"What haven't I told you?" 

He folded his arms. "Can we just not do this shit right now? You like to argue, and I don't feel like doing it this morning, Maliyah."

"I need some space. Can you leave, please?'

"Maliyah--."

"Please," I begged. 

He sighed and let himself out, slamming the front door behind him. 

I cleaned up the mess in the kitchen that Jack made and unpacked a few of the lingering boxes. By the time I was done, it was 7 pm. I ate a bag of chips when I was taking it down, but I needed some real food. The fridge was empty, and I didn't feel like getting out on a rainy day like this one. I didn't think Jack would mind if I borrowed a few groceries from his house. I slid on my slippers and knocked on his back door. 

"What's up?" Jack asked while sticking his head out of the door.

He was shirtless and looked like he was busy.

"I know we're not on the best of terms right now, but I forgot to go grocery shopping, and I really don't feel like going to the store, so can I have dinner with you?"

He rubbed the back of his head.

"I don't mind. I actually wanted to come and apologize." 

"Uhh, thanks, but you don't have to tell me anything. I'm not your girl, you don't have to tell me shit. I overreacted, and I'm sorry."

He let me inside, and I was amazed at what I saw. His home was well decorated as I expected. 

                    Jack's House

                    Jack's House

"So, what's for dinner?"

"Homemade Lasagna." Jack

"Sounds good. Do you need any help?"

"Actually, I could use a bit. Could you grab a knife and start chopping the vegetables for the salad?" He asked while pointing to the counter with the vegetables and cutting board.

I did as he asked. I would glance over to him and look away, in admiration. Jack was so handsome. I'd never been attracted to men outside my race, but he was something different. His large hands spread the cheese on top of the lasagna noodles.  

"Yes?" he asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

Damn, he caught me staring. I gave him a warm smile as my cheeks heated up, and my heart quickened.

He put his thumb to his mouth, licking off some excess spaghetti sauce while still staring at me with those sinful eyes of his. It seemed as if he were teasing me. He knew exactly how to make me melt.

Damn. Damn. Damn.

"So, are we going to chat about the girlfriend thing or?" I trailed off.

"I just needed to tell my mom that, so she wouldn't nag me about settling down, having grandkids and stuff. " He assured.