God's Gift

Tuesday, December 12
It'd been a month since I'd left Jack's guest home and moved in with my aunt. I managed to land a job at Forever 21, which was great for me. Not only did I love their clothes, but the mall wasn't far from where my aunt lived. When I wasn't working, I spent most of my time doing homework or searching for vacant apartments. I wasn't making as much money as I was when I was in the streets, but at least I could come home without a guilty conscience.

The morning dragged along as I moisturized my hair and pulled it into a bun. Leggings seemed to be my best friend on days like this, so I shimmied into a burgundy pair and threw on a white sweater.

I finished getting ready for school before I headed out the door with my bookbag and a cup of coffee.

I was at least 30 minutes early today, making Jack and I the only people in the classroom. I settled in my seat before rummaging through my bookbag for my laptop.

"Hi." Jack greeted. He looked utterly perfect in his navy button-down and grey slacks.

"Hello," I said.

"I read your essay last night. It was amazing, very well done."

"Thank you," I said, glancing from the laptop and back to him.

"Julianna's asked about you, you know?"He added.

"I'll have to come to see her sometime. I'm super busy now." I frowned.

"I miss you."

He didn't break eye contact, it was evident I felt the same way he did, but I still needed time away from him.

"Jack, I thought we agreed on just keeping it professional for now, until I figure things out?"

Before he could respond to my question, a student from the class called out to him in need of assistance.

The whole class, I could feel my stomach churning around and around. I couldn't even focus on the importance of "The Phantom of the Opera." Just before I felt like I couldn't manage to tough out my stomach ache, I threw up all of my food content on to the tiled floor.

Everyone's eyes focused on me, and I didn't know what to say. Luckily, Karen, a girl that sat next to me, helped me to the ladies' room to get cleaned up.

I sat on the sink area while cleaning around my mouth and searching for any vomit that might've made its way on my clothes.

"Do you think you could be pregnant?" Karen asked blankly.

"Uhh, no, I just think I ate something bad this morning." I lied.

There was indeed a possibility that I could be pregnant. I hadn't even thought about my period being late, let alone grabbing a pregnancy test from the drugstore.

"Thank you again, Karen, for helping me out," I said with a tight lip smile.

"No problem, I hope you start feeling better."

Karen made her way back to the classroom as I began examining myself in front of the mirror.

I guess I have gained a couple of pounds.

I took a deep breath.

If I were pregnant, I'd have to tell Jack, and both of our lives would change. If I'm not pregnant, I'll continue figuring things out and searching for an apartment.

After a few more minutes, I decided to go back into the classroom and grab my things. I needed to take a pregnancy test as soon as possible before my anxiety would eat me alive.

When I walked down the hallway, I saw Jack stepping from the classroom with his satchel in hand and my bookbag outside the door.

"What's going on?" I asked.

"I canceled class so that the janitor can clean the room, but we'll have a makeup class tomorrow."

"Oh," I said while placing my bookbag on my back.

"Are you feeling okay?" He asked with worry in his eyes. "If you need something, call me, I've gotta pick Julianna up from daycare."

"I'm okay, I'm just gonna go home and take some medicine and thank you."

And with that, we both headed off to the parking lot going our separate ways.

I drove to the nearest Family Dollar to purchase my pregnancy test and raced home in silence. The silence was relaxing; it allowed me to think clearly.

I pulled into the parking lot, shifting the car in park and shutting the ignition off before quickly walking to unlock the door.

No one was home at this time except for my grandmother, my aunt worked at the hospital, and my uncle worked as an accountant.

I quickly maneuvered up the steps and into the bathroom while ripping the First Response box open and pulling out a test. The test shook in my hand before I even peed on the stick. I was scared. I didn't know the first thing about being a mother, and it was all my fault for not making Jack use condoms.

How could I be so fucking careless and reckless?

I placed the cap on the test and sat it on the sink before washing my hands and pulling off my clothes to shower to calm myself down and give the test time to read.

After 20 minutes, I wrapped myself in a towel and picked up the test on the sink.

Sure enough, there were two solid pink lines.

"This must be a mistake, "I said in denial.

I quickly ripped the second test open and peed on it.

Maybe the first one didn't read correctly.

I capped the second test off and made my way to the bedroom to put on some bedclothes.

After putting on bedclothes, I went back to the bathroom to look at the test. Once again, two solid pink lines.

"Fuck." I groaned.

I banged on the medicine cabinet and the walls until my grandmother walked in, seeing me distressed.