Chapter-38

# Kindly note that there are two point of views going hand in hand together in this chapter.

 Climbing ropes, harness, carabiners, slings, belay devices, shoes…What else? I was mentally running the list in my head while loading the backpacks onto the back of Daniel’s Range Rover.

“All set?”

He asked me slamming shut the rear door of his SUV.

“Yes, I think we have got everything we need.”

I replied with a smile getting into the front seat.

“You seem to be excited.”

Daniel noted seeing my enthusiasm.

“I am,” I laughed.

“Here, don’t forget your seatbelt.”

He said leaning towards me and helping me buckle my seatbelt.

“Thank you,” I replied making myself comfortable in the seat.

“I have to remind you something,” he told me with a ready grin.

“What?”

I asked wondering what he wanted to say.

“Just don’t get yourself entangled with the ropes.”

It was his turn to laugh remembering the particular incident.

“Very funny, Daniel. It was my first time. You know I have improved a lot.”

I replied dryly watching him still chucking to himself.

“I was joking. You are a quick learner that’s why I am taking you to Cedar Bluff.”

He said with a smile starting the engine of his SUV.

  It was the weekend and Daniel was taking me to Cedar Bluff. Daniel introduced me to rock climbing and I had been practising it with him at the Chicago indoor climbing gym. It was a good way to relieve stress and I found myself enjoying it. By now, I was confident enough and Daniel felt that it was the right time to try it out in a natural outdoor setting. Cedar Bluff is one of the climbing areas located in Southern Illinois with limestone cliffs that offer many climbing routes.

  My phone vibrated and I checked it to find a message from Mandy.

“Have you started for Cedar Bluff?”

We were planning to meet up with Jack and Mandy and it seemed like they had reached before us.

“Whose message are you reading?”

Daniel asked me, his eyes on the road while driving.

“It’s Mandy. She wants to know if we have started.”

I said relaying the message to him.

“Tell her that we are on interstate 57. We will be reaching soon.”

He told me with a smile as we zipped across the highway on his SUV.

*

  After parking at an area meant for campers and people like us visiting the place, we ended hiking a short trail to the bluff with our backpacks. It was the beginning of summer and it was a good time to be here. The rocky terrain and the lush green locales were pleasing and calming to the eyes. I was inhaling the fresh air and it gave me a feeling that I was back at home.

*

  At a distance, I could see the main climbing area. The numerous rock formations with the established climbing routes were coming in sights.