Chapter - 75

Pace My Heart

Chapter – 75

Daniel

My mind must have taken several moments before it registered what Mandy had just said over the phone.

"Minho shared his side of the story...There have been a lot of misunderstandings between them and he admitted letting those affect him...He has realized his mistake and wants to correct it...He wants to see her..."

Mandy was narrating how he turned up at her doorstep asking for Ava.

"He has found out she went home...It might take him a day or two but he said he is going there..."

She continued speaking unaware I was half listening to the rest. An inner turmoil had grasped me caught between realizing what it all meant and remembering how just moments before I had wanted answers to what transpired between Ava and me.

Realizing I haven't replied, Mandy asked me quietly.

"Are you there, Daniel?"

My silence must have given away.

"I'll let her know..." I answered, hoping my voice didn't betray what I felt right then.

Before she caught on to it, I knew I had to end the call.

"I've to go, Mandy. I'll speak to you later."

After keeping the phone, I finally let out the breath I had been holding without realizing. Alone, I stood there long containing the mounting anguish I was feeling. The call wouldn't have come at a more wrong time.

I turned around sensing Ava approaching me. She must have come to look for me.

I had made up my mind what I had to do. But seeing her walking towards me, made it harder, my heart feeling the heaviness more.

Even from afar, I could make out the gentle smile on her face.

"Daniel"

"Ava"

I took her name. And as if sensing the strain in my voice she slowed her pace. It was only for a moment because in the next, I see her taking a step forward.

The distance between us was lessening further, and I find myself putting a stop to it.

I relayed what Mandy said over the phone.

"Minho is coming here."

Hearing it, Ava halted her steps just as my eyes met her bewildered gaze.

*

The return journey home inside the car was marked by quietness, punctuated by the cover of the silent night. The sudden paucity of words between us was also noticed by the rest.

Soreiyo who sat beside, concentrated on his driving and everyone kept their conversation to minimum. The hush but did nothing to quieten the onslaught of the emotions I was dealing with inside.

*

Back at the house, Ava's parents were already outside awaiting our return. After getting off the car, I helped Soreiyo in taking out the things we had taken for the trip. Ava was the last to alight from the vehicle. We haven't spoken to each other again but I saw her looking at me, her gaze lingering. I only had a fleeting glance of her; her eyes quickly averting mine as she went inside with the rest.