Chapter - 62

Pace My Heart

Chapter – 62

Daniel

Did I change my alarm recently? I was racking through my still half asleep mind but not remembering anything. It took a while to realize through my sleepy haze that it was not my alarm but the sound of a rooster crowing. That's when I remembered where I was. I fumbled to find the phone I kept on the bedside table. It was almost 4 in the morning and dawn must be breaking soon.

Something warm and soft was nestled next to me. I found a ball of fur curled up beside me. I remembered Ava telling me once about her cats. Last night, I didn't lock the door from inside and apparently one had sneaked in through and was snuggled right next to me on the bed. Maybe the cat was searching for a warm place to sleep. I reached over and adjusted the blanket so it covered fully. Instead of being frightened, I found the cat purring and snuggling in more. It made me smile and found myself drifting back to sleep, tiredness overcoming me.

*

"Ginger...Ginger..."

I woke up to the sounds of a name being called out repeatedly. As the person came up the stairs and walked up and down the corridor outside, I realized it was Ava recognizing her voice.

"Hey buddy," I nudged my furry friend who was refusing to wake up, still curled up.

"Looks like they are looking for you," I gently ran my hand over his orange brown coat and as if he understood, I saw him stretching before jumping down the bed and slipping out of the room.

I can hear Ava's surprised voice outside, seeing her cat emerged from my room. I could make out she was scolding Ginger, her hushed voice lowered less it wakes me up.

Getting out of the bed, I opened the door slightly to find her right outside.

"Hey, morning," I wished her just as I see Ginger sprinting away taking the chance to escape.

"Hi," she replied, her eyes looking startled to find me awake.

"I'm sorry...I think my cat got inside your room."

She was apologizing worried that I might be bothered by it.

"It's okay. It was my mistake. I must have not closed the door," I brushed it off. She looked relieved hearing that it didn't trouble me.

"Ginger is quite friendly. I actually liked his company," I added getting in turn a rare smile from her. She turned around to walk down the stairs only to stop after few steps.

"Looks like you are up now. Breakfast is ready by the way."

*

After getting ready, I went down to find the house brimming with activity despite the early morning hours. I was quickly shown to the kitchen, a large traditional looking wooden room which had a fireplace going in a corner, making the room warm and toasty. On the roof beams, I could see handmade bamboo baskets hanging along with the rows of dried corn with the leafy husks.

"Will you like to have the breakfast out in the front porch? I can get it set outside."

It looked like Ava was unsure if eating here would suit me or that it wasn't good enough.

"I prefer to eat here, please," I answered with a smile to put her at ease. Although it was a totally new experience for me, it was strangely comforting to be sitting in a room that seems to hold its own memories.

Back home, meals are always lone affairs. Here it seems, the kitchen was the center of the house, filled with the voices of people coming in and going.