Chapter - 56

Pace My Heart

Chapter-56

Ava

I reached the campus at 7:35 earlier than the scheduled time of 9:45, set for the committee meeting. The routine I follow every day was to enter through the main entrance. But today from there instead of heading towards the north side where the university hospital is located; I turned and walked on the path leading to the older historic building which housed the academic sections.

Since the office timings have not yet begun, there were only fewer people around. Rather than the elevator, I took the big winding stairway located at the centre of entrance-hall. My pace slowed down on its own, climbing each step one at a time. Passing by the first floor administrative offices, I halted on reaching the second floor. On the left side was the university library block, a place where I must have spent hours poring over the books. I could only give it a brief glance as I turned towards the other end of the floor, my footsteps echoing in the empty long hallway.

I paused on seeing a doorway I remember too well. My review meeting was going to be held in one of the adjoining smaller meeting rooms but I found myself pushing open that familiar door of the main conference room. I entered and stood for a moment staring at the rows of seats inside.

This was where I had given my residency interview and later on the orientation, the memories of both still afresh in my mind. Amongst the universities I applied, I ended up getting matched to Mc Gill University's surgery residency program which had been my first choice and I still can't forget that jubilant feeling.

Yet again in a while, I was going to appear in front of the Mc Gill university faculty. But this time it was going to be for a totally different reason.

Quietly closing the door behind me, I headed to the farthest corner of the long corridor. Finding a row of concrete bench which faced the transparent floor to ceiling glass windows, I sat down finally. I realised that I had been shivering slightly, making me hug my white coat tighter although it wasn't really because it was cold. It was how I felt inside.

Early morning sunlight was streaming through the glass windows and it fell on my hands. It was giving the slight warm I needed to stop myself from fidgeting. Letting out a long sigh I sat there trying my best to gather my scattered thoughts, in the hope of readying myself to face what lies ahead.

*

"There she is," a voice from afar brought me back. I must have sat there long, lost in self-contemplation. At a distance I could see Owen waving his hand to get my attention.

"Look who I met on the way here," he pointed out as he walked towards where I was. He was accompanied by Amit and someone else.

Realising it was Simran, I got up surprised.

"She insisted that she wants to see you after finding out about today."

Amit was explaining as they got closer. She gave me a hug as I made her sit down next to me.

"Why you came all the way Simran?" I asked bewildered.

"How will I not come...It's an important day for you... I wanted to be there to wish you luck," she replied earnestly giving me a warm smile.

"We stopped by a temple on the way. She has offered prayers that all goes well for you today."

Amit told me with a smile looking at her. Just then, I saw her opening a tied wrapped piece of cloth. Inside there was a dried leaf plate with the prasadam sweets from the temple, which are sweets offered to the God and then received as blessings. They had brought it all the way for me.