Chapter-18

Mandy had dragged me along with her to a small but posh boutique that a designer friend's of her owned in an upscale Chicago neighbourhood. I was not really in a mood for shopping but she insisted on accompanying to help me pick an outfit for my first date with Daniel.

"I still can't believe that Daniel asked you out. He totally surprised us!"

Mandy was gushing as she ushered me inside the shop.

"Count me in, Mandy."

I mumbled in reply. He had definitely given me a shock. After he asked me out in the O.R, the news spread like wild fire inside the hospital campus and even before we actually went out on a date, everybody had decided to label us as an official couple. One of the first people who came running to me was Stacy. She nearly cried on hearing about it. It seems like she really did had a huge infatuation over him. It took a while for me to pacify her and I finally had to take Owen's help. It was bad. I remember how I had described him as to her and now I agreed to go out with him. How did that happened?

We still meet up for our daily cups of coffee. Although its becoming hard because my neurosurgery rotation is over and I am posted somewhere else. I tried to come up with all sorts of stupid excuses but somehow he found out about my schedules and since I was free on the weekend, our date was planned for the coming sunday.

"Mandy, do you know how much this cost?!"

I exclaimed holding an embellished jersey dress in my hand from the clothing rack.

"Ava, will you stop reading the price tags? Its your first date and we really need to find a nice dress."

Mandy was scolding me as she attacked the rows of dresses frantically searching for good options that I can try out.

"How about this one?"

"Too loud, Mandy."

"A sequinned number?"

"I am not going out on a party."

"I like this one."

"Too short, Mandy."

"Can't I just go out wearing something from my old wadrobe?"

"No, Ava. You really need to pick up a new dress."

"No?"

"Naah...I will look like a christmas tree."

"Ava Nomray, will you stop acting silly?!"

"Sure, Mandy."

I know I was fooling around and pulling her legs. And that I should just pick out an outfit. But then my friend was more excited than me and was all over the place, pulling out the dresses much to the dismay of the shop assistants scurrying around her. Overexcited will be the appropriate description. I thought, smiling to myself watching her. I know she was happy for me. But I don't know why I just wasn't as enthusiastic like her.

"Ava! Check this out. Doesn't this remind you of the dress you wore in Amsterdam?I remember you looked so beautiful that day."

She was holding out a silk wrap dress in pale pink color for me to see. An awkward silence as I stared at it for a while because it reminded me of that day.

As if realising that she had uttered something that she shouldn't have, she hurriedly placed it back.

"Pink is such a summer color. Lets find something else."

She told me while going back to rummage the racks.

Not in pink. I told myself suddenly feeling that I shouldn't have come today here for shopping.

"I found it!"

I heard her calling out to me interrupting my thoughts. I had zoned out for a while.

"Are you mad, Mandy? I am not going to wear that!"

I gasped looking at the dress in her hand. A black slinky number with a deep plunging neckline that left nothing to imagination.

"Oh, Ava! You should have seen your face. Your expression was one in a million. You looked so horrified!"

She was laughing watching me.

"I will never wear something like that."

I told her again and we shared a small laugh. She had managed to lighten up the tense situation.

Finally after a lot of shoving and pushing around in the trial room, I finally found something we both agreed upon. A cream colored full sleeve wool knit dress with lace overlay. A clean cut silhouette that fitted my curves at the right places. Simple yet elegant and definitely very me. The weather had turned colder these last few days. Atleast I wouldn't freeze wearing this. I thought checking out my reflection in the full length mirror.

"This will definitely go with your Jimmy Choo."

Mandy told me as she came beside and stood next to me. She was talking about the patent Jimmy Choo peep toe pumps that I had bought a while ago after burning a hole in my pockets. It was one of the few things in my wadrobe that I was proud of.

"You know, Ava.... Daniel and you. It might work."

She was giving me a warm smile because even without me telling her she knew what I was going through.

"I don't know Mandy...I hope so..."

I sighed hugging her feeling emotional. Everyone was happy for me because I was finally giving myself a chance. Maybe it might work out. I really didn't know. Hope I am doing the right thing. I told myself convincing that maybe ...just maybe it was the right time.

**************************************************************************************