Chapter-7

°°°°°°°°

Mandy

"I am sorry...am sorry."

She was mumbling in her sleep. I gently placed my hand on her forehead to calm her down. I found her outside in the lawn breathless and crying her heart out. Someone had told me what had happened at the O.R and I rushed to find her in a disheveled state.

When she relocated to Chicago for joining the surgical residency programme I must have been the happiest person. I had met her first in Amsterdam on my vacation and we remained in touch through e-mails and phone calls. We have become really close friends and thats how I came to know about an event in her past. An unfortunate event that was tormenting her even today. She was again going through a guilt trip, the incident in the OR provoking her hurtful memory.

She appears to have moved on but something is missing. I longed to see that carefree smiling girl I met in Amsterdam. She was so happy then.Amsterdam is also the city where she felt in love with someone and had her heartbroken although it wasn't his fault.She never got to tell him her feelings.

"Is she fine?"

Jack was standing beside me watching her. He had come to the guestroom to check on both of us.

"She is allright now."

"Well, I need to run. Give me a call if there is anything,okay?"

Jack had an evening practice session. An assistant coach for the North Evanston university football team, he had been busy lately with a match coming up.

"I am thinking of having a chat with Daniel."

I told him looking up. It was high time that I paid him a visit.

"Yeah, maybe you should."

Jack replied agreeing with me as I glanced back at the sleeping girl on the bed.

°°°°°°°°°°°

Daniel

Mandy came storming into my office looking really upset.

"Mandy, what a pleasant surprise?"

I said astonished to see her.

"It's been a while."

I added realising that it indeed had been quite sometime since I met her last.

"We need to talk, Daniel."

She had crossed her arms in front and was looking at me.

"Sure, I am all ears."

I replied wondering what made her suddenly come looking for me.

"For how long have we been friends?"

I was surprised hearing such an unexpected question.

"Come on, Mandy. Why are you asking such questions?"

"Just answer my questions, Daniel."

She was looking really serious so I had to answer her.

"Since high school."

"And who was Jack's best man on our wedding?"

Another one.

"Mandy, where is this conversation leading to?"

But she was staring at me with that annoyed expression.

"Fine, it was me. I was Jack's best man on your wedding."

"And you are Eric's godfather."

"I don't believe this.You just came in barging into my room and asking me silly questions."

"Mandy, you know I love your kid."

"Oh, is that why you suddenly disappeared without telling none of us?And even after returning, you didn't even visit him."

"I am sorry, Mandy. It just that I have been busy lately. I should have given you all a visit."

I replied defeated. It was an excuse. I should have atleast met them once.

"I didn't know you could be so mean."

"What?"

"You know what I am talking about. Ava is a dear friend of mine."

Finally realising the reasons for her outburst towards me, I exclaimed.

"If its about what had happened at the O.R then I don't have anything else to say. And by the way, why are you blaming me? I wasn't the one who acted in an irresponsible manner. I am leaving. I have to go somewhere."

I hurriedly got up to leave the room.

"You are not going anywhere, Daniel. I have already checked your schedule so just sit down."

I knew her well enough that she would not let me off without hearing her out.

"Don't interrupt or question me in between. Just please hear me out,allright?"her voice softened.

She made me sit there and listen to her for more than half an hour.

Before she walked out of the room, she paused at the door and told me meeting my gaze.

"Just give yourself a break. Will you? Don't act so tough and mean. Its not the Daniel I knew back in high school."

"And one more thing. I think no one knows it well enough than you,how it feels like to loose a near one."

That was the last thing she said to me before she closed the door behind her.

******************************************************************

A/N For the past few days I have been under a lot of stress.Things happened and it left me confused. I also had those silly arguments with my sister who feels this has to stop. I should just let it go now. She is worried that I will loose myself. But I am scared that if I don't penned down this story in my heart, I will regret it for the rest of my life. So I hope and pray everyday that I will be able to complete this journey I started writing.Then I can go back to my old life. There is still a long way to go. I have to ask you whom I consider my best friend because you have been with me all along in this journey. Will you be with me till I reach that point in this journey?

*P.s Thank you.Take care & Love you.