Chapter-9

I ran my hand along the rows of books stacked neatly on the mahogany bookshelves. The week had been busy and I finally found the time to come here in the university library.The library is huge and well stocked with varied books of all subjects. I slowly walked through the surgery section searching for books that I could look up for preparing my thesis papers. I had an awful lot of reading to catch up with and more than that I like the solitude surrounding of a library that helps in collecting my thoughts.

The phone inside my jeans pocket was vibrating so I fished it out to find that it was a call from home. Taking calls inside the library was obviously not allowed but they had stayed up late in the night to ring me up. I thought, checking my watch and mentally calculating the time difference. Quickly looking around and finding no one around, I decided to take the call.

"Hello...Mom, is that you?"

I asked hearing her familiar voice.

"Hello, its me dear. Are you busy?"

"Not really. I am in the library but we can talk. Are you still awake,mom? Is dad sleeping?"

"Your dad has already slept. Why? You don't want to talk with your mama?"

I could make out the slight disappointment in her voice. She keeps complaining that I was closer to dad than her.

"Come on, mom. You know I missed you too."

I said laughing knowing her too well.

"Allright, allright. Don't try buttering me up now."

I could almost see her smiling at the other end.

"Well, I actually called up to tell you that I am sending few stuffs through your uncle. Here's the list...A jar of red chilli pepper powder, the hot one, mind you. Some more jars of dried and pickled fish,dried fermented soyabeans,dried bamboo shoots. What else? Okay,roasted grounded sesame seeds,dried local mushrooms and yeah few packets of black rice as well."

"Really?!"

I replied excited hearing her. I was terribly missing home food and it seems my mom had sensed it without me telling her.

"Mom, I love you! You are the best."

I exclaimed feeling touched and suddenly missing both of them. It had been almost a year since I last went home.

"I already know that, dear."

She replied and I laughed again hearing her.

"Well, there was something else I wanted to talk to you about,"she added.

"Yeah, tell me mom."

I said wondering what could it be.

"Is there anybody you want to talk to me about, Ava?"

"Huh...."

I said confused.

"You are not dating anyone?"

She asked me earnestly. Uh..Oh, I thought finally getting it. One of those dreaded talk was coming up.

"No, mom. There is no one."

I replied but it seems like the conversation was not going to end any sooner.

"Really?If thats the case.There this guy..."

"Who?"

I asked cutting in before she completed her sentence.

"There is this boy that your uncle told us about and we happened to know his family. I heard he is working there as a physician in Highland Park hospital. So we were thinking that maybe you can meet up. Both of you are in the same profession so you will have something in common to talk about. He could drive up till there over the weekend."