Chapter - 66

Pace My Heart

Chapter – 66

Ava

The second day of the medical camp was drawing in more crowds. Villagers from near and distant were coming in after hearing about the camp which has been organized because this was a chance for them to make up for the limited access to health facilities for which they need to travel far every time.

Words seemed to have spread about doctors coming from afar and they didn't want to miss out on the opportunity to be seen by them especially the one everyone was talking about. According to my father, Daniel was attracting a lot of attention which was proving beneficial for bringing in more people which had been the main aim behind conducting it.

*

We were almost done with the first half of the day. Rosaline had to go and check on the inventory so we made her leave before us.

Daniel and I had just finished examining a patient and had directed a volunteer to take him to the medicine tent for an opinion.

I went to fetch the water for the wash basin since there wasn't anyone around to help. Just outside the tent, I was helping Daniel wash his hands by pouring the water. Because there was no provision for running water, it was the only way.

"Thank you," he politely thanked me in return as I gave him the hand towel for him to dry his hands.

We have started being more at ease while being around each other. The awkwardness had been temporary because we have lapsed into a familiarity without realizing. The conversation is not limited to work alone and we find ourselves talking of ordinary common place things.

"All ready for the afternoon? " he inquired with a smile.

"Yes...I guess so," I answered. It actually took me a whole night to prepare for it after finding out that I was given another important task.

Besides the health screening, they had planned for a health awareness talk and it somehow fell on me because others weren't inclined on giving a speech. It also requires some amount of preparations. It should be short, clear and relevant in an easy to understand words for the listeners to be delivered in our language.

Uncle Rinshung knew I have done few similar community presentations in the past and he thought I was the best person for the job. I couldn't refuse because I had fully committed to help out in all way possible.

"You'll do just fine. I look forward to it," Daniel assured me in his usual encouraging way hearing me sound a little on the edge.

"I hope so...thank you," I returned a smile thankful for his supportive words.

"I finally understood the significance of what Dr. Rinshung and your dad spoke about...The place needs more care and medical assistance." He spoke with a solemn expression as he studied the people gathered around the tents waiting patiently for their turn.

Daniel seemed to have experienced at first hand after interacting with the people here how this place had been facing the adversity of lacking even essential health care which is considered basic elsewhere and taken for granted.

"I hope you realized that this place needs you, Ava. I hope you won't forget that when you have doubts about yourself again," there was earnestness in his voice which caught me unaware.

I couldn't reply back immediately because there was truth in every word he said. Uncle Rinshung had been saying the same thing and so has my father whose hopes are pinned on me. But I don't know why it felt different when Daniel said it.

It was like I was seeing it from a more unclouded point of view, his reasoning simple yet true.

"I'll remember..."

I finally replied meeting his gaze, hoping his words stays with me.

*

I busied myself getting ready for the talk going through the notes for one more time. The makeshift area arranged for it was getting readied as carpets were getting rolled out by the volunteers on the grass so the audience could sit on it under the open tent erected in the middle of the school ground.

While I walked up and down with the paper in my hand, my eyes find someone else walking from one tent to another, stopping here and there capturing pictures with a camera he carried in his hands.

I was surprised because it looked like Daniel had brought his DSLR camera along with him today. I could see him turning into a photographer as he made the children who had crowded around him to pose for him. I smiled to myself while giving one more glance before going back to my paper.

*

I tried to touch upon all the important points highlighting the areas which I wanted to emphasize on. The audience which comprised both old and young, men and women were listening attentively making it easier for me because I wanted to be sure they were following everything and taking back the home message I wanted to convey today.

I was so engrossed in delivering the talk that it was only when it was nearing the end that I realized that Daniel had been standing right there all throughout snapping with his camera. Now that he had caught my attention, I find myself being aware of him walking up and down pausing in between and clicking away.

Maybe he was trying to get pictures of the audience but he was distracting me to say the least. In between while he tried to find good angles, I see him joining in whenever the audience cheered, clapping along with the audience. I was pretty sure he didn't understand a word I said because the speech was in our dialect but he was still applauding with the rest.

If he was going to continue clicking more pictures, I was seriously thinking of telling him over the microphone itself to stop because I wasn't able to concentrate with him standing there because he didn't seem to realize that my attention was getting drawn elsewhere.

Thankfully, I didn't have to resort to it because I see John walking up to him and tapping on his shoulder. I can see John saying something to him making Daniel laugh. John then signaled to me with an amused grin that he was taking him away and I shouldn't worry about having him distract me.

I shook my head watching both walk away but not before Daniel stopped to turn around and giving me a thumbs-up before leaving with my friend. I resumed my speech but found myself smiling looking at him.