Chapter 30

"I have waited for this opportunity for more than half a century, to repeat to you once again my vow of eternal fidelity and everlasting love." – Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Love In The Time Of Cholera

Chapter Thirty

All my systems come to a halt as soon as the inspector tells me that Liam is arrested. My hand which holds the phone freezes and my mouth hangs open. I can’t be hearing things and maybe, I’m still asleep and this is some kind of a nightmare I’m facing.

“Mrs. Payne, are you listening?” Inspector Traz calls from the other side and I come out of my state of trance.

“Yes, why is he arrested? What did he do?” I shout in panic. I throw the duvet under which I was sleeping and throw it haphazardly on the other side. I’m already on my feet and I start pacing the room, back and fro.

“I’m afraid I can’t reveal much since I’m not allowed to exceed this call. Normally, the arrested gets to call anyone of their choice but Mr. Liam is not in the condition to talk to someone. No more questions, I can just ask you to come right away.” His voice is stern, businesslike. I’m sure he has been given strict orders to not give away anything and I want to strangle him for that.

Even after trying to negotiate with him for some more time, he stands guarded on his orders. I quickly take the address of the police station from him and he hangs up the call before I can bombard him with anymore questions. I have no clue how I will even get there. I slip my feet in my only pair of heels, carrying my purse and Liam’s phone along with me. I momentarily think of calling Roger, Lisa even to accompany me since I’m literally dense as to how the Fiji government functions. My mind redirects me to Liam beating the pulp out of Roger and I stand still. What if Roger filed a complaint against Liam and got him arrested? But then again, how would the police find him since we are at a place no one knows about. My hands start sweating and pull the only strand of my hair away from my face.

This day is getting to the peaks of disastrous and it would be a ridiculous understatement if I said that I was worried. But if worry was something I was accurately feeling, then anger is bustling against all the veins of my body. I don’t even know what he has done but I feel a strong sense of rage and fury for him.

I stand at the entrance of my hotel and I can’t see anyone I can trust. The reception is deserted and the old, bald man is snoring on a chair which is about to break. The people passing by give me a confused look but continue with whatever their doing, anyway, I peek out of the hotel and the street in front of me is isolated. Some drunkards pass the street occasionally but I don’t see anyone else. I look back and I suddenly remember about Zayn from nowhere. Maybe I should call him since I did take his number? I look at the time on my watch and its past 3.30 and I should really get going by now.

I fumble with some things in my bag and pick out my phone. I dial Zayn’s number on Liam’s phone and wait for him to answer. He picks up on the third ring.

“Hello?” His voice sounds deep and raspy, as if he was sleeping.

“Hello, is this Zayn? I’m Tiara! We met at your uncle’s shop?” my words sound rushed and I can’t help but not control the panic rising inside me.

“Tiara? Yes, Zayn here. Fuck.” It sounds as if he hit something and then I hear him laughing. What the hell? “Sorry, I hit the table lamp, don’t ask me how.” He is still laughing.

“Zayn, I need your help.” The desperation is clear in my voice.

“It’s past three! Are you okay? What’s wrong? You sound worried.” He sounds much clearer now and I can say he is paying attention.