Chapter 21

"When you fall in love, it is a temporary madness. It erupts like an earthquake, and then it subsides. And when it subsides, you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots are to become so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the desire to mate every second of the day. It is not lying awake at night imagining that he is kissing every part of your body. No ... don't blush. I am telling you some truths. For that is just being in love; which any of us can convince ourselves we are. Love itself is what is left over, when being in love has burned away. Doesn't sound very exciting, does it? But it is!"

-Captain Correli's Mandolin,  Louis de Bernières

Chapter 21

I walk into our bedroom with a stupid grin covering my face. It’s hard to believe that just in the morning I had no mood to even look at him and now, I’m smiling from his sudden change of behavior. For no apparent reason, I go and stand in front of the full length mirror and look at myself. My hair has dried but still my lower waves stick to each other due to moisture. I free them by gently moving my fingers through them.

There is a lot of difference I see. My eyes aren’t red but show a glimpse of radiance. My cheeks looked pumped out and a pinkish layer settles over it, giving a very subtle change to it. And most importantly, my lips have turned slightly upwards and refuse to go normal. So much for change.

I dived nearly after seven years and I still can’t come to terms with the fact that I actually allowed myself to divulge in something I refused to go back to. The hormones inside me were haywire when it comes to it and I can’t be more grateful. But no matter how hard I try to convince myself, I know this change in me isn't because of diving.

I turn around to shower after a tiring day.

--

I walk out of the bathroom, wrapping myself merely in a towel. My hair is dripping water and I try to be careful, not to wet the carpet. I unzip my bag and remove a pair of the simplest lingerie I can find out of the stock of lingerie which is cuddled up in my bag. I have no idea even if I’ll wear this when I’m alone, let alone in front of anyone. I unzip Liam’s bag as well and remove a grey sweat shirt which covers most of my essentials. I wear my slacks and dry my hair.

I’m not really sure how I would face him after today. I was almost on the verge of taking a divorce with him and now he is making dinner for both of us. It seems surreal and I think I’ll just wake up now from my nightmare and we’ll be where we were before.

I tie my hair in a braid as soon as they dry and walk out of my bedroom. I enter the kitchen and suddenly, I’m conscious of what I’m wearing. Well, I shouldn’t be because it isn’t the first time I’m wearing some of his clothes, but nevertheless I am. I look at him and my eyes widen.

He stands completely oblivious to anything around him, in a simple white T-shirt and loose jeans with an apron tied around his waist. His hair is disheveled and he concentrates in a book in front of him. His hand is covered by a certain white powder and other one is trying to balance the book and adding some ingredient together. I almost laugh at him.

I walk near him and stand in front of the counter where he cooks. A delicious aroma invades my smell instincts and it is so good that I can’t really wait for it.

“So, Mr. Chef, what is for dinner tonight?” I chirp. I myself find my voice amusing and I can’t hide the excitement in them.

He looks up and gives me a goofy grin. That’s when I realize a small part of what looks like cheese rests on the tip of his mouth.