Chapter 22

“All hopes of eternity and all gain from the past he would have given to have her there, to be wrapped warm with him in one blanket, and sleep, only sleep. It seemed the sleep with the woman in his arms was the only necessity.”- D H Lawrence

Chapter 22

I’m half active when I feel someone dragging me on the soft traces of the sand. I’m too lost in my own world to even think what is happening around me. All I want to do is curl up in a ball and disappear. Maybe the Earth eating me up will do, too. That’s my problem. I nod my head frantically and try to concentrate on him.

Liam’s hands are too tightly pressed against mine. Our fingers are tied together like laces and I can’t help but notice it. His hands are too tough and feel like metal. Whereas mine are comparatively softer. I look at his back since he leads both of us. His back is straight and his pace is fast, almost making both of us sprint. All I can see is that he is making us run towards the interiors of the beach and at this moment, only one thought swims inside me.

I trust him.

Even though our relationship is too weak or fragile to handle, both of us have tuned into a rhythm, not every relationship can sync to. We have more fights then normal talks, but that is how our relation has carved. But the underlying statement is that my father trusts him. So there must be something about him that has impressed my father. And if he does, then I should too, probably. Besides, if he would have wanted to do something, he would have done it already.

I glance

I stare at the back of his head and he turns around to look at me. His face is expressionless. I try to give him a faint smile which is more of curving of my lips but fortunately, he sees my vague attempt and gives me a small smile, too. He looks in the front immediately, as if trying to figure out the path.

I still have no clue where is he taking me already. The excitement in his eyes when he told me about it was palpable and I can’t help but smile to myself.

“We are here.” Liam stops and looks at me. It seems we are the same place where we started from, but the view of the far lands and the surroundings around us is different.

He pulls away his hand and I immediately miss his support. All I want to do is take his hand again. I try to violently remove all the absurd feelings I’m having for Liam, feelings I cannot possibly name. I shouldn’t feel this, I shouldn’t feel all this. But I am and I can’t help it.

“Wait for it.” He whispers, as if someone is hearing us.

Within seconds, I hear a sound coming from a distance. I look around but don’t see anyone. After some time, the faint sound turn into cries and I immediately look at Liam. He looks at me with the same expectant eyes and his vision shoots up in the sky. I follow his path and look at the sky as well.

Flocks of birds, birds of all types, descend towards the ground, talking a high-end landing. Their cries grow louder in amplitude and within a few minutes, all of them open their wings widely and settle on the ground. Gently sipping some drops of water, I can literally find every color in them. Peacock blue, maroon, queen pink and grey, these birds are so beautiful.

My chest expands and the view again, is so breathtaking. Just when I thought I had seen every beautiful thing Fiji can offer, I’m proven wrong. I instantly forget everything and stare at the birds. They look so calm and rejuvenating that I just feel like standing here.

“This is interesting, isn’t it?” Liam looks at me, his hands folded on his chest making his biceps bulge out too much.

Not that I’m looking.