Faraway Sky

The sun seeped through the tree leaves, basking us in its ray. However beautiful it may be it held no meaning right now. The three of us have been walking since the sun rose. Still running from the castle. From the person we once called friend.

Ah. Yona began to fall but Hak caught her and we kept walking. We couldn't stay around one place too long. Not while we were on the run.

Hak had grabbed a cloak on our escape, which we used to cover the princess and conceal her identity. Quick thinking on his part.

Yona fell again, panting. She's exhausted and covered in dirt. "Would you like to rest?" Hak asked as he kneeled in front of her.

Yona clutched something in her hand and brought it into her cloak. Is that a hairpin? Ah, it's the one Soo-Won gave her.

Hak grabbed her shoulders and gently brought her to lean against a tree. She pulled the hood down, letting her long hair escape before instantly falling asleep.

All this time we've been watching her. She was a princess who never knew dirtiness or pain. I would have liked to keep it that way.

Hak leaned against the tree as well and looked up at the sky. I began to scale up the tree before settling on a low limb. I stared up, through the leaves and at the blue sky. A distant memory flashed through my mind.

~Three Years Ago~

Hak sat down, eating an apple. Like always I was on the roof above him in the hall, staring up and letting the cool breeze brush against my skin. "You little squirts." I blinked. Gramps?

Rolling onto my stomach I peeked down to see gramps in front of Hak, giving us a stern look. "I told you two to attend today's Five General Meeting!"

Hak and I glanced at each other before looking back at him. "I thought we decided Hak was the new General." I stated, flipping off and standing on the rail Hak sat on.

"As long as Master Mundok attends the meeting, no one else needs to. Besides, I don't want to listen to His Chubbiness talk."

I snickered at the nickname he gave King Il. "Idiot!" Gramps started to yell. "Stop calling me Master Mundok and call me grandpa!" He roared.

Huh? "That's the problem?! You and I are not blood relatives!" Hak retaliated.

The two began to fight. Not seriously of course. Their punches had no real strength as they swung at each other comically. "Who cares about the ties of blood?! That's nothing compared to the power of love!" Gramps argued back.

I rolled my eyes but turned as I noticed someone was watching. King Il.

What's he doing here? "Hey now." He interrupted. The two stopped and turned to the King, unaware he was there. "The Hiryuu Castle will collapse if General Mundok and Hak romp around."

Gramps immediately went onto his hands in knees. "My apologies, King Il!" Geez, always a suck up to him. "Ah, no worries." King Il brushed it off as Hak backed up to me.

I wonder if he was there when Hak called him His Chubbiness. King Il walked over to me and Hak. "Long time no see, Kiri, Hak. I've missed you two since you don't come visit as much as you used to." He smiled at us.

Hak rubbed the back of his head. "A commoner like us can't just casually . . ." Hak struggled with his excuse.

"We're just country bumpkins. Bumpkins don't belong in the Castle." I stated, shrugging my shoulders.

"Don't worry about such a thing. You're not bumpkins. Yona's also lonely without you two around." Hak laughed a bit. "That's a lie, Your Chubbiness." I nearly fell off the rail.