Shaken Journey

I stood in a small open field, swinging my spear as I did my daily drills. Exhaustion is seeped deep into my bones. My lack of sleep has finally caught up, probably because when I do sleep, my dreams keep me from feeling rested. This just makes me angry though. And it's all because of him!

I turned and swung with great force, causing the wind to tear at the bushes behind me. A fraction of my anger went with that swing.

I gripped the pole tighter and grit my teeth.

"Hey miss." A familiar voice called. I stood a bit straighter and glanced back to see Zeno sitting on the ground a little bit in front of me.

What surprised me though is the fact that he didn't look like an airhead like he usually does. There's a knowing look in his eyes and a soft smile on his lips.

So unlike him.

"You and the mister are a lot alike. You shouldn't worry too much, it'll shorten your life."

His behavior is still puzzling me, but I offered a smile. "Eh? I'm not worried. I'm having fun." Zeno didn't bat an eye, but he stood and looked up at the morning sun shining down on us.

I thought he was back at camp with the others while Hak and Yona practiced swordsmanship. No one really follows me out when I'm training.

I like to do it alone so I don't have to worry about keeping up the mood. It's the only time where I can let my anger seep out, even if it's just a tiny bit.

"It's a nice morning. But your bloodthirst is kinda spoiling it. You and the mister are similar in that. That and having the faint smell of death."

Zeno . . . I closed my eyes briefly before looking up at the blindingly bright sun.

"You sure say some weird things for a kid, Zeno. But you're not wrong. The thing is, I'm not afraid of death." I looked over to him with an emotionless look.

This seemed to surprise him so I closed my eyes and grinned.

"Don't worry. I won't die anytime soon and I won't let Hak die either. Of course, the same applies for you guys."

He tilted his head, studying me a bit. "But you and the mister cannot be replaced, you're not like us, the dragons. We can be replaced by a new generation. But you're only human, so you need to take better care of yourself."

I stared at him a bit. He's not at all like he normally is. He sounds older. Wiser. Like he's seen a lot of things.

So is this the real Zeno? "Wrong." I said without any hesitation.

He almost fell over a bit at my sudden change. "Eh? What do you mean?" I walked over before striking him atop his head, making him cry out as he clutched the quickly swelling spot. "Ow! What was that for miss?"

I crouched in front of him, letting my spear lean against my shoulder. "Because you said something stupid. You guys cannot be replaced. Not you, Kija, Shin-Ah, Jae-Ha, or even Yoon. We're a family now. So talking like that will result in punishment." I grinned at him.

He blinked before a smile grazed his lips, a light blush of happiness on his cheeks.

It's a different smile, but it was true. "You siblings really are so much alike. Thank you."

Huh? What's he got to be thankful for?

"Y'know, you're really weird Zeno. You're adorable, and then you're like a voice of reasoning, as if you understand. Maybe you do, I don't know. But because of it, I think it's okay to tell you at least. The blood thirst you sense from me won't go away, not as long as my enemy still breathes. So I apologize in advance. It'll be fine if you don't find me in training."